Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Platinum AAdvantage

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi Platinum AAdvantage

For those of you who are picking up this card and wish to take a trip with a significant other, how are you handling it? Are you both getting the card? For flights to Asia in premium it seems like we would both need the card to earn enough miles for two people and then top it off with MRs or other AA cards. Was just curious how people are handling it as its a hefty fee to pay up front to do it twice?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Platinum AAdvantage

@red259 wrote:

For those of you who are picking up this card and wish to take a trip with a significant other, how are you handling it? Are you both getting the card? For flights to Asia in premium it seems like we would both need the card to earn enough miles for two people and then top it off with MRs or other AA cards. Was just curious how people are handling it as its a hefty fee to pay up front to do it twice?

well, if you don't mind potentially burning down bridges, you can meet the spending requirements within 30 days, and then request to have the AF refunded and close the card. However, with the $200 statement credit, it's really just $250 for 100k AA miles, which is a really good bargain....

For those who just want those miles for the sake of having them, then those fees will seem to be pretty significant because they aren't going to put those miles into use anyways. Whereas for those who are going to be making use of those miles, it's really a good discount on travel that you're already going to be paying for anyways, except you pay less.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

well, if you don't mind potentially burning down bridges, you can meet the spending requirements within 30 days, and then request to have the AF refunded and close the card. However, with the $200 statement credit, it's really just $250 for 100k AA miles, which is a really good bargain....

For those who just want those miles for the sake of having them, then those fees will seem to be pretty significant because they aren't going to put those miles into use anyways. Whereas for those who are going to be making use of those miles, it's really a good discount on travel that you're already going to be paying for anyways, except you pay less.

Yea I'm not into burning bridges and already know I am keeping mine at least the first year and then Ill see if there is a rentention offer. On FT there seemed to be people talking about getting this card twice, but I don't know how they could be doing that. I am thinking maybe I misunderstood but I have heard it mentioned multiple times. 

;
Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Yea I'm not into burning bridges and already know I am keeping mine at least the first year and then Ill see if there is a rentention offer. On FT there seemed to be people talking about getting this card twice, but I don't know how they could be doing that. I am thinking maybe I misunderstood but I have heard it mentioned multiple times. 

Is there a business version for this card? I'm not too familar with this exact card either so I don't know.

My advice is to apply for this card, put 40k spend on it (for the elite miles, and first class tickets require 135k miles anyways), and be done with the card. If you don't value AA elite miles, then put 10k spend and stop using the card.

If you already have the SPG, and assuming the transaction isn't done overseas and Amex is accepted, you're better off putting spend on SPG over the AA card for non-AA flight expenses, since 20k SPG points can be converted to 25k AA miles.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Is there a business version for this card? I'm not too familar with this exact card either so I don't know.

My advice is to apply for this card, put 40k spend on it (for the elite miles, and first class tickets require 135k miles anyways), and be done with the card. If you don't value AA elite miles, then put 10k spend and stop using the card.

If you already have the SPG, and assuming the transaction isn't done overseas and Amex is accepted, you're better off putting spend on SPG over the AA card for non-AA flight expenses, since 20k SPG points can be converted to 25k AA miles.

Yea I don't have the SPG card. I'm thinking using MRs and AA card for flights and URs for hyatt stays (or domestic united flights). 

;
Message 5 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Yea I don't have the SPG card. I'm thinking using MRs and AA card for flights and URs for hyatt stays (or domestic united flights). 

For domestic flights, especially last minute bookings, you probably will get a better redemption rate transfering them to BA and then using Avios to redeem for AA flights.

In most cases Hyatt is the easiest way to redeem a higher ccp value since the number of rooms available for redemption is always going to be higher compared to number of seats available on a plane. BA and KE can also be redeemed at a high ccp value as well.

Message 6 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

There is a Citi Business MC also, the sign up bonus is 50k miles for $3k spend. Some people churn the Business card every 91-95 days. I havent, but it's very YMMV if you can do it with the Business version.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.