Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Platinum Select Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Platinum Select Approval

I received a Citi Platinum Select MasterCard application invitation in the mail. It didn't say anything about being pre-approved but it had an "Invitation Code". I've got several baddies on my report including collections and some lates (all are due to age off in the next 3-12 months), so as soon as I saw the Citi logo I thought "yeah, right, a prime card with my report".

On the other hand, I figured "what's another inquiry at this point", so I pulled the trigger. Instant approval! With a $2,000 credit limit none the less! I got 16.99% APR with 0% for 15 months!

This is a huge accomplishment for me, two years ago at this time my score was in the 400s and not even the lowest sub-prime secured cards would take me. Now I am getting a prime card from a prime bank with a 2k limit!

Thanks for all the help MyFICO forum! I've learned a lot here and have been watching my credit score grow (slowly) as a result. I now have reached my goal of 2 bank cards and 1 store card. So this is probably the last card I will apply for (at least for a couple years). Now I need to get (and pay off) an installment loan and in a year or two I should be able to look at buying a house.

Current Cards:

• Wells Fargo Secured Visa: $300 limit
  • Chevron Gas Card: $350 limit

My current EQ score is 671, don't know what the other score are right now.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Platinum Select Approval

I'd sock-drawer those other cards- why keep spending on them if they never grow with you.

Also:  After 6 months check the Citicard website for a link for auto CLI.  My first one after 6 months was auto $1700 increase.

BTW:  Congrats I got mine last year I think my scores were like 680-690ish at the time.  I love this card.  I like the way it looks and the high CL's- I used the hell out of it when I got it.Smiley Happy

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 2 of 9
terren2000
Regular Contributor

whats the catch?

they gave you a $2000.00 limit, and your other limits are barely $500.00?

If I can get them, I defiantely ditch Orchard.

My Cards are....

Wells Fargo Student Visa - $700 CL (just got last week)

Orchard - $300

Macys - $500

Walmart - $425

Dell - $2000

I want one more major credit card to replace Orchard.  Orchard will never grown, and it pointless to have.

Ill try and apply maybe in August for my birthday.

WHat is your income like.  Im sure it might have played a large part, mine if pretty low being im a student.

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No catch as far as I have seen. It's a good card with a good rate and no annual fee. Honestly, I don't know why they approved me with such a mediocre report, but I am grateful, this will be a card that I will probably keep forever.

My annual income is $37k.

Message 4 of 9
terren2000
Regular Contributor

^^^

cool ill try and get one too.  My income is similar.

thanks.

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS!! I just got approved too but only got a 1,000 dollar credit limit. My Equifax score is 673 but utilization is high.Are you going to do a balance transfer? If so how much?

Message 6 of 9
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elaine829 wrote:

Are you going to do a balance transfer? If so how much?

I don't have any balances to transfer. Smiley Tongue I've managed to live on the cash system for 8 years, and my current cards are so small that I always just pay them off every 2 weeks when I get a pay check.

Message 8 of 9
joy1979
Valued Member

t the Re: Citi Platinum Select Approval

Congrats!

I think I'll try for this card at the end of the year. Hopefully by then my credit scores be around 700.

"When you know better you do better"
Maya Angelou
Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.