cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Preferred vs Citi Preferred for students?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Citi Preferred vs Citi Preferred for students?

Which of the two would be better for a 18 year old college student with 7 month old history to apply for. I'm not at 7 months history yet but when I am at 7 months I'm not sure which of the 2 to apply for. I was thinking maybe Preferred gives higher limit and better sign up bonus but then again the Preferred for students might be easier to get.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Preferred vs Citi Preferred for students?

Far as I know the only real difference is that the student version has a very low ceiling. My normal Thankyou Preferred was at 5k when I PC'd it to a Double Cash, but I have seen them much higher than that.

Message 2 of 9
Bmn5940
Contributor

I just got my preferred student in the mail today with $500 SL. My scores at the time were 680-720 range about 6-7 inquiries and 8 month history. I didn't get an instant approval because I forgot to list that I had a checking and savings account. called the executive office and the woman I spoke with(super nice) submitted my changes(adding the checking and savings) and then about 2-3 weeks later the EO personally called me and said they approved me after I listed my checking and savings. So yeah go for the student if your 18 I'm also a college student at Penn State university and the sign bonus on the student card seems nice too. Hope this helped!

Very Happily in the garden
Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 3 of 9
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Bmn5940 wrote:
I just got my preferred student in the mail today with $500 SL. My scores at the time were 680-720 range about 6-7 inquiries and 8 month history. I didn't get an instant approval because I forgot to list that I had a checking and savings account. called the executive office and the woman I spoke with(super nice) submitted my changes(adding the checking and savings) and then about 2-3 weeks later the EO personally called me and said they approved me after I listed my checking and savings. So yeah go for the student if your 18 I'm also a college student at Penn State university and the sign bonus on the student card seems nice too. Hope this helped!

When do you plan to upgrade to Double Cash?

History of my credit
Message 4 of 9
Bmn5940
Contributor

I didn't know that was a thing as of now I'm going to spend the 500 to get the bonus points and making this my main card. When can I upgrade?

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 5 of 9
Subexistence
Established Contributor

After at least a year.

History of my credit
Message 6 of 9
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Bmn5940 wrote:

Do you need to establish checkings and savings account to be approved? I have neither with citi.

History of my credit
Message 7 of 9
Bmn5940
Contributor

I didn't have any relationship with citi. This is my only card through them I've never banked with them before. The problem for me why I was initially denied was because I didn't list I had a checking or savings account. 2 calls to the EO later and about a month of waiting they called me and said they reversed their decision and were sending my card. With an APR of 14.49% which I'm pretty happy about. Can't wait to grow this card considering the low APR

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never have or will have either of those with Citi, just cold-apped for a CC online.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.