Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier Anyone?

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Citi Premier Anyone?

Does anyone currently have or know much about how much of a value the CP is/can be with TY points/transfer partners etc?

Citi ecosystem even worth it?

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Premier Anyone?

@CBartowski wrote:

Does anyone currently have or know much about how much of a value the CP is/can be with TY points/transfer partners etc?

Citi ecosystem even worth it?

Only when redeeming through the portal at 1.25 cpp.

Message 2 of 13
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Really? That gives more value than transfer partners? Wow.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 3 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Paired with a Rewards+ card on the same TYP account, there's also a 10% rebate up to a point, so that's 1.35% + the value of any FF miles you would get back for booking a revenue flight.

For partners, a transfer to Virgin Atlantic or Air France/KLM for flights on Delta or other SkyTeam members can be a much higher value.  I'm not as familiar with Star Alliance, but there are several Citi transfer partners where I'm sure it's quite possible to get 5-10 cents per point.  As far as just giving a figure for how much a TYP is worth, that's completely dependent on how it's going to be used.  For domestic economy travel, getting say 1.5 cents for Delta via Virgin Atlantic may not actually be a better value than just using the travel portal.  But for Delta One seats (especially with a direct flight) that can be a huge value.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

with DC earning 2TYP/dollar, TYP system is alive and well.

Message 5 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios also recently acquired this card and will likely have some additional data points.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
wingennis
Valued Contributor

I have the Premier but haven't had a chance to transfer points yet.  I got it to replace my Amex Gold because of the broad travel categories and entertainment-the Gold/Platinum combo failed me on both counts when I was in the UK recently.  Unfortunately, Amex released the updated Green which did the mostly the same thing but with MR's which I prefer to TY points.  I'm not sure what I will do with it now. I'll let you know if I can made a good redemption with my accumulated points soon.

Message 7 of 13
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Overall I haven't been too impressed with the Premier. I have been severely disappointed in their portal for finding flights. For example, ealier this year I flew to Halifax, NS from Atlanta via Air Canada. I found a great itinerary on the Air Canada website so I log into the Citi portal and there was nothing even close to that flight. There were quite a few less options as well vs the Air Canada site. I ended up using the portal anyway and just got as close to the original itinerary as I could. For me the best use of TYP points has been booking my rental car using them. I have gotten adequate value out of the points that way. 

Have had the card 1.5 years so far and will probably cancel before the end of the 2nd year. I just hate the thought of losing a 50k line though.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

Overall I haven't been too impressed with the Premier. I have been severely disappointed in their portal for finding flights. For example, ealier this year I flew to Halifax, NS from Atlanta via Air Canada. I found a great itinerary on the Air Canada website so I log into the Citi portal and there was nothing even close to that flight. There were quite a few less options as well vs the Air Canada site. I ended up using the portal anyway and just got as close to the original itinerary as I could. For me the best use of TYP points has been booking my rental car using them. I have gotten adequate value out of the points that way. 

Have had the card 1.5 years so far and will probably cancel before the end of the 2nd year. I just hate the thought of losing a 50k line though.

Using it for rental cars probably is not a good idea any more, because they dropped the rental car insurance benefit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 13
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I'm debating to downgrade my Prestige to Premier before my AF is due again in Feb. I thought I could still make the 4NF work in my advantage, but it's become a bit of a hassle and not the savings I originally thought.
So, my TYP lineup would be, Premier, DC and Rewards+. I'd have to the option to redeem on the portal at 1.25x and get 10% back. Or transfer to partners and get 10% off points back. Got about a month to decide...
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.