Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier TYP Pay With Points redemption value

tag
BH1985
Regular Contributor

Citi Premier TYP Pay With Points redemption value

I want to be sure my understanding is correct with regard to Citi's Pay With Points feature, as I have a large number of points I intend to use to cover some vacation charges before the annual fee hits on my Premier card. 

It's my understanding that if I wanted to use TY points for a general statement credit against all charges in a billing cycle, the TYP redemption value is 0.5 cents per point. 

I was also reading that certain eligible purchases (dining, drug stores, etc) can be individually selected and covered at 0.8 cents per point before the close of the billing cycle. Only certain categories are eligible for the 0.8 cent per point redemption credit. 

Is this correct?

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Premier TYP Pay With Points redemption value

Purchases made on the most recent statement cycle are eligible.

Only the following categories are eligible: entertainment, grocery, gas, dining, drug stores, clothing and department stores, and utilities.  Those are worth 0.8 cents.  No other charges are eligible and no charges are worth 0.5 cents.  It's possible that other TYP-earning cards may have that rate and ability for other categories.  But for Premier, I can only select a gas charge at 0.8 cents and Rewards+ won't let me choose anything:

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 1.13.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-27 at 1.15.57 AM.png

If you can't find a way to use your points for 1.25 cents each in the travel portal (or possibly more through airline transfers) to book the vacation you mentioned, you may want to consider redeeming them for gift cards at 1.00 cents instead.  There is a massive list to choose from, and redeeming for something like iTunes gift cards and selling them would still net you more than the 0.8 and 0.5 you were considering.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.