Did you mean: 

Citi Premier - product change options?

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Citi Premier - product change options?

I have a bit of a dilmena and need some help

Currently I have a Citi Premier card that after the initial SUB requirement has been used sparingly here and there for almost two years. A large part of the reason why is the future changes to the card - including the removal of the 25% boost to redemption via travel portal - taking effect next early next year which when combined with the transfer partners make this a card not worth keeping long-term. The problem I have is I have no clue what card to PC it to. The AF is going to be due in December so sometimes between now and then I need to find a new card to change it to. Slightly complicating matters is CLI request is on 8/29 and wondering if I should just take whatever SP increase they give or chance one more HP before leaving it to the SP CLIs

To those that are or have been in a similar situation what did you do. Open to all options on what to do

TIA for everyone's help!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Premier - product change options?

AA Platinum Select to Costco, Prestige to DC.

Costco I still use (Costco extended warranties where I can't use Amex...and gas).

DC has been locked for about a year. I have just kept it in case Citi launches anything of interest I might want to PC it to.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Same dilemma here, although I have until April, but also complicated with having the Rewards+ card.  Since I have no interest in Prestige nor any desire at this time to use a Double Cash combined with Premier for partner transfers, I've made up my mind to PC at least the Premier next year.

I find ThankYou Preferred to be relatively useless for my needs, so that's out.  Fortunately Citi has an insane number of PC options.  Leaning toward possibly PCing Premier to either a no-AF AA card for the lulz or to a Diamond Preferred, or maybe just closing it.  Rewards+ I will probably PC back to Diamond Preferred.  I had a decent number of 5% targeted offers before and BT options aplenty with Diamond Preferred.  Really wish Dividend was still an option right now.

I'll dump any remaining TYPs into Virgin Atlantic before I pull the plug.

Message 3 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

DC has been locked for about a year. I have just kept it in case Citi launches anything of interest I might want to PC it to.

Does Citi have any PC rules? I wouldn't mind doing that til something comes along that catches my eye

Message 4 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston  I was thinking PC the Premier to a card that at least gets offers to entertain me to spend on it. Don't mind throwing Citi a little spend here and there. Is the Diamond Preferred best for that? I know @kilroy8 got a spending offer on his Simplicity the other day so that's what got me thinking about it

Message 5 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Does Citi have any PC rules? I wouldn't mind doing that til something comes along that catches my eye

There may be a rule requiring people to keep their first card for a year, but that wouldn't apply on your older card.

Costco is AFAIK the only "dead end". You can PC to Costco but not from Costco to something else.

Message 6 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Other than Costco (and used to be an issue with Simplicity although that barrier now seems removed) I am not aware of any PC rules outside of the usual CARD Act ones.

Diamond Preferred is similar to Simplicity with its no frills no rewards structure.  But I used to get 5% targeted offers all the time and there is also the ability to purchase discounted physical gift cards (from memory I think I bought $100 Amazon and Lowe's cards for $90 each a few times) when you hold the card.

I tried to PC my Diamond Preferred to Prestige a few years ago while it was temporarily taken off the market before the makeover, but no go at the time.  However the analyst that I was speaking with did offer me like 2 dozen options to change to.

Message 7 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'll have a similar quandary in December/January.  Smiley Frustrated

Right now I'm leaning towards doing a PC to the Rewards+ as a no-AF option that should (???) also keep any straggler TY points warm, but I'm also open to better options.

(Sorry I don't have any good suggestions to provide... just chiming-in to say that you're not alone.)

Message 8 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My utilization is around 5% (WWFCR 0% and no-fee Amex Plans), and my Prestige-turned-DC account only goes back to 2016.

If nothing appealing (as in, a new product or major improvements to an existing one) comes along, I might eventually close it and reduce exposure to smooth the way for a fresh AA Platinum SUB. At least for my profile, it's not essential to keep every cent of available credit.

Message 9 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I'll have a similar quandary in December/January.  Smiley Frustrated

Right now I'm leaning towards doing a PC to the Rewards+ as a no-AF option that should (???) also keep any straggler TY points warm, but I'm also open to better options.

(Sorry I don't have any good suggestions to provide... just chiming-in to say that you're not alone.)

Unfortunately Citi makes it complicated. When you close or convert a Thank You earning card, the points "remember" where they come from and they do expire after 60 or 90 days I believe.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.