cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier - product change options?

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Premier - product change options?

I would either go for one of their no AF cards (MileUp, DC, Rewards+, etc) or get rid of the card.

If you find yourself in a situation like myself, I called to cancel my Premier and they gave me $95 if I were to spend $95 within 3 months.

This was before the increase multipliers and the additional of the grocery category. I will have the card and will definitely keep it as I find Citi's transfer partners interesting but useful if you have the time to learn how to utilize them.
Message 11 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'll have a similar quandary in December/January.  Smiley Frustrated

Right now I'm leaning towards doing a PC to the Rewards+ as a no-AF option that should (???) also keep any straggler TY points warm, but I'm also open to better options.

(Sorry I don't have any good suggestions to provide... just chiming-in to say that you're not alone.)

Unfortunately Citi makes it complicated. When you close or convert a Thank You earning card, the points "remember" where they come from and they do expire after 60 or 90 days I believe.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up;  you're spot-on about Citi making things more complicated than they need to be.  Smiley Frustrated

I'll now make double-sure there's no points left before I make that phone call.  Heck, even a pitiful Amazon 'pay with points' redemption is better than forfeiting them.

Message 12 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
I would either go for one of their no AF cards (MileUp, DC, Rewards+, etc) or get rid of the card.

If you find yourself in a situation like myself, I called to cancel my Premier and they gave me $95 if I were to spend $95 within 3 months.

This was before the increase multipliers and the additional of the grocery category. I will have the card and will definitely keep it as I find Citi's transfer partners interesting but useful if you have the time to learn how to utilize them.

I rather keep the card and am willing to put spend on it if the offers came; also as @wasCB14 pointed out if a new card came out the possibility of PC it to it appeals to me. The changing categories don't interest me at all such as groceries since every other major bank has done it as well. The only transfer partner that interests me is AF/KLM and Citi is beaten out by AMEX and Chase

I'll see about possible retention that way but looks like Rewards+, Diamond Preferred or Simplicity are my current options at the moment

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Article on the change process.  Not affiliated.

Message 14 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I rather keep the card and am willing to put spend on it if the offers came; also as @wasCB14 pointed out if a new card came out the possibility of PC it to it appeals to me. The changing categories don't interest me at all such as groceries since every other major bank has done it as well. The only transfer partner that interests me is AF/KLM and Citi is beaten out by AMEX and Chase

I'll see about possible retention that way but looks like Rewards+, Diamond Preferred or Simplicity are my current options at the moment

...though I've been hoping that for two years, and the general direction in which Citi cards have gone in that time is not encouraging.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I have this dead end card and same dilemma. 

Anyway, is there really any difference between Simplicity and Diamond, other than fees when talking about PCs?

Message 16 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Anyway, is there really any difference between Simplicity and Diamond, other than fees when talking about PCs?

I am interested in this answer as well

Message 17 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

At the risk of going off-topic, DoC has reported that iTunes gift cards can now be used for Apple products. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/itunes-giftcards-can-now-be-used-for-all-apple-products-including-dev... 

This is relevant here since iTunes gift cards are a redemption option for the Premier.  Smiley Happy

This doesn't do anything for me, but perhaps someone who is an Apple aficionado and happens to have some Thank You points to burn will find it useful.

Message 18 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I am interested in this answer as well

Simplicity is completely no frills no perks.  Diamond Preferred still gives you access to Citi Entertainment (including presales which I have used a few times over the years) and the concierge services which I am sure few people use.  I don't know that Simplicity offers access to discounted gift cards, either.  In the recent past, it was impossible to PC out of Simplicity so all in all I would say if those are the two choices you've narrowed it down to, go with DP over Simplicity unless you think you'll need to avoid late fees.

Message 19 of 22
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

I am following this because I am in a similar situation as @simplynoir. I got the Citi Premier in January 2020 for a single reason. I was planning to travel from Africa to the US on Turkish Airlines, and I wanted to upgrade a segment to J. I am in the Chase UR ecosystem, but TK is not a travel partner. I got the Premier, got the SUB, and upgraded my flight. (Unfortunately, the flight didn't happen as planned. It will happen when travel restrictions are lifted, whenever that is.)

Because I do Chase UR, I am not interested in Citi TY points. I am looking for a PC path for the Premier. I already have the Double Cash, as well as the CashReturns (I've had this since 2009). Basically, I just want a good no AF Citi card that is a PC option from the Premier. Pretty much all of my travel rewards and cash back options are covered by cards I already have. If I wouldn't be an expat, I would be interested in the Costco Anywhere Visa. However, I live in Africa right now. I expect to move back to the US sometime, but not for a couple years at least. The Costco membership would be a waste of money.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.