Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Presitge

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Presitge

@KJinNC wrote:

Thanks - I also said "5 points for restaurants" when it actually also applies to bars, and probably some other minor inaccuracies as I focus on how I'd use it (I doubt I'll book a cruise - travel and air travel are synonymous for my use - etc).

@KJinNC I have a Citi setup that works for me but may not be the best for others.  I have the Prestige, Premier, and the Rewards+.  I shift my points from the Prestige and Rewards+ to the Premier as the points are then worth an additional 25% when redeeming for airfare which increases the value to 1.25cpp with points from the Prestige's 5x category being worth 6.25cpp.  

My Rewards+ card rounds up to 10 on all purchases.  I'm an RN and work in a hospital...I hit the vending machine for some sort of caffeinated beverage at least 4 times a shift.  That means my $1.50 Coke or Red Bull rounds up to 10 points on each transaction.  My vending purchases cost me $6 bucks a shift but I gain 40 points in the process.  I rack up a lot of TYPs in a short period of time from this card alone.  For a 3 day work week I'll spend $18 bucks but gain 120 TYPs.  Even better is that if I purchase something that cost over $2 bucks then I use my Prestige as it gives 5 TYPs per dollar for restuarants and the vending machines at work codes under that category for some reason (and I ain't hating it).  Can't use my Amex cards even if I wanted as the vending machines don't accept Amex.  

What I'm getting at is that there are several systems that work well depending on what you're trying to gain.  I do have a small Amex system with the BBP and EDP.  The BBP gets my non category spend at 2x, EDP for fuel (3x) and grocery (4.5x) as I have no problem hitting the 30 swipes per month with my wife as an authorized user.  

I have the CSP with Chase as well as the Ritz Carlton.  The Ritz gets any car rental and the $100 airfare discount pays for the annual fee itself as it's a Visa Infinite benefit with no limit as to how many times you can use it.  With the Prestige losing travel protection I'll shift that over to the Ritz or CSP if I feel the need to have the travel protected.  So as you can see...there are soo many angles that one can use to make a system work...you just have to pick what works best for you and go for it.

Message 21 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Ugh...post failed. Rewriting in brief.

Platinum definitely has shortcomings, but for me CSR makes up for them more effectively than Prestige does.

*I don't use the TY partners (used most TYs at 1.6 cpp on AA), so to me Prestige+Premier would basically be:

A capped 4NF membership

With the rewards (but not protections) of CSR (assuming 2+ cpp from Hyatt or an airline)

But without the Platinum perks.*

4NF is a gamble for me. I used it a few times, but checked out early twice. I have a 5-night stay next week but to get a $200 savings I would have had to pay 2 more Prestige AFs since I got rid of it for CSR. I also have a lot of accumulated hotel points, so that steers me to IHG/Hyatt/Marriott properties with award space.

I like the CSR travel protections as trips get more complicated. I book a lot more travel with CSR than Platinum. Along with Platinum including lost luggage coverage, it actually covers medical evacuation even when you book the trip with another card.

The Platinum lounge footprint definitely works well for me, and I also get a Schwab subsidy. I rarely use PP, but PP from CSR includes restaurants.

Is CSP bonus chasing? It would seem a little superfluous with Prestige/Premier for earning power and RC for protections.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 23
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

Ugh...post failed. Rewriting in brief.

Platinum definitely has shortcomings, but for me CSR makes up for them more effectively than Prestige does.

*I don't use the TY partners (used most TYs at 1.6 cpp on AA), so to me Prestige+Premier would basically be:

A capped 4NF membership

With the rewards (but not protections) of CSR (assuming 2+ cpp from Hyatt or an airline)

But without the Platinum perks.*

4NF is a gamble for me. I used it a few times, but checked out early twice. I have a 5-night stay next week but to get a $200 savings I would have had to pay 2 more Prestige AFs since I got rid of it for CSR. I also have a lot of accumulated hotel points, so that steers me to IHG/Hyatt/Marriott properties with award space.

I like the CSR travel protections as trips get more complicated. I book a lot more travel with CSR than Platinum. Along with Platinum including lost luggage coverage, it actually covers medical evacuation even when you book the trip with another card.

The Platinum lounge footprint definitely works well for me, and I also get a Schwab subsidy. I rarely use PP, but PP from CSR includes restaurants.

Is CSP bonus chasing? It would seem a little superfluous with Prestige/Premier for earning power and RC for protections.

@wasCB14 CSP was my first card that I obtained with Chase post BK13.  I'm not under 5/24 and probably won't be for a while.  Keeping this around just in case I ever want to move to the CSR or another path.  For now, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it even with the annual fee. 

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.