cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Card Changes Take Effect Today.

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige Card Changes Take Effect Today.

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That reduction from 1.25ccp to 1ccp on travel really stinks. It would be a better card than CSR, but not anymore with that stunt.

Sure, but you'll also be earning more points 5x, so if you spend on those 2 main categories, you could come out ahead.

I think the 4th night hotel perk is more of a loss. 

My assessment is not based on one spending category. I just did my routine calculation https://www.thepointcalculator.com/Credit-Card-Comparison-Tool , and this card would be better than CSR for me if TYP is 1.25cpp, but worse if its 1cpp.

ofc, YMMV, feel free to do comparison with your own actual spending.

Agreed. This is a YMMV thing. But, the Prestige will benefit mostly people who spend on the bonus categories, just like any other rewards card. Without using that tool, $10k in spend between air and dining would get me either 30k URs or 50k TYs. Even at 1.5cpp vs 1, the Prestige wins every time now - but not before the changes. However, I also take into account the ability to pool points from the other Chase cards and specific partnerships, so UR is still a better overall value for me. 

As a standalone card or using it for cpp value strictly without considering transfers, the Prestige can easily make a stronger case against the CSR.

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That reduction from 1.25ccp to 1ccp on travel really stinks. It would be a better card than CSR, but not anymore with that stunt.

Yea I agree. Hopefully the Premier stays at 1.25ccp since that’s my only use for those points. 

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I can't believe they actually took away the 1.25x for flight redemption!  I had really hoped with the nerfing of the 4NF they'd actually meet the 1.5x of the CSR and Altitude Reserve.  My Premier still reads: "Your ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when you redeem them for flights through the ThankYou® Travel Center," so it's quite odd that the significantly lower AF card offers better value on flight redemption through their travel portal.  I'm still considering doing a PC from Diamond Preferred to Prestige since I'm not going to be eligible for a ThankYou SUB anytime soon and my collection of $400+ AF cards isn't quite as populous as it should be.  Smiley Wink

For those that have more than one ThankYou product, do the points pool in a combined account like Membership Rewards or does each card have its own TYP balance like Ultimate Rewards?  Finally, this really makes no sense, because anyone redeeming more than 38,000 TYPs (after the first year, since the AF is waived the 1st year anyway) this way should just also grab the Premier to get the 1.25x on redemption - even without being eligible for a SUB that makes sense.

I agree. The reduction from 1.25ccp to 1ccp is a dealbreaker for me. If it stayed at 1.25ccp, I certainly would have picked up this card and dropped my Gold (and all of my other AF cards).

Would you consider the Premier a keeper card for someone who only uses the points for portal redemptions at 1.25ccp? It is really my only true travel card as far as travel purchases are concerned. I currently use the card for Gas and Travel only.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

if premier stays at 1.25, can you pool prestige TYP over? seems like a loophole if Citi intend to nerf the TYP.

Message 14 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it can be pooled that way. I have Prestige and TY Premier (legacy AmEx version) and it works wonders. My Sears MC also earns TY points so it's all pooled together.
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am one of those people who were denied SUB from Amex after meeting my spend. Can't wait to jump on this card for my dining/travel driver. Do we have any idea on when it would be open to application again?

Message 16 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree. The reduction from 1.25ccp to 1ccp is a dealbreaker for me. If it stayed at 1.25ccp, I certainly would have picked up this card and dropped my Gold (and all of my other AF cards).

Would you consider the Premier a keeper card for someone who only uses the points for portal redemptions at 1.25ccp? It is really my only true travel card as far as travel purchases are concerned. I currently use the card for Gas and Travel only.

I consider Premier a keeper card for these reasons:

- Since getting the card, they have given me constant bonus offers (4 extra TYPs on PayPal purchases, 5x on clothing/department/computer/electronics/toy stores, etc.).

- 2x on entertainment and 3x on parking when the kiosk doesn't take Amex and won't accept my CSR because it's not bendy enough.

- The 1.25x on airfare since I find myself wanting to book revenue fares instead of award fares lately.

- Citi is a transfer partner for FlyingBlue (Air France/KLM) and Virgin Atlantic, both of whom are also transfer partners with every major points program (MR, UR, TYP, Marriott/SPG) and are very closely tied to Delta.

- And now, because I am still considering a PC to Prestige and this would pair well.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am one of those people who were denied SUB from Amex after meeting my spend. Can't wait to jump on this card for my dining/travel driver. Do we have any idea on when it would be open to application again?

I think by the end of this month. I was considering this as well but I'll probably just PC my DC to this instead of outright applying (if I decided to part ways with the Gold).

If Citi does indeed keep the TYP at 1.25ccp through the portal, the Prestige+Premier would be a lethal combo imo. Heck, you could even throw in the new Rewards+ card to suppliment your grocery spending.

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I consider Premier a keeper card for these reasons:

- Since getting the card, they have given me constant bonus offers (4 extra TYPs on PayPal purchases, 5x on clothing/department/computer/electronics/toy stores, etc.).

- 2x on entertainment and 3x on parking when the kiosk doesn't take Amex and won't accept my CSR because it's not bendy enough.

- The 1.25x on airfare since I find myself wanting to book revenue fares instead of award fares lately.

- Citi is a transfer partner for FlyingBlue (Air France/KLM) and Virgin Atlantic, both of whom are also transfer partners with every major points program (MR, UR, TYP, Marriott/SPG) and are very closely tied to Delta.

- And now, because I am still considering a PC to Prestige and this would pair well.

Gotcha. that makes ton of sense. I'm wondering how soon would Citi actually allow PCs to the Prestige? I don't think I would outright apply for this card, as I already have 2 cards that I would PC from (AA Plat and DC). I'm hoping there isnt a minimum 10k CL for the Prestige like the CSR has.

If the 1.25ccp isnt nerfed for the premier, Thank you points have a ton of earning potential going forward (even with the addition of the Rewards+ card as well)

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

so many systems. I am already in UR, MR, GFP. lol. I don't think I will get into TYP, not enough spending. Although now it does look like a worthy rival with all others.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.