Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige: I'm impressed

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Citi Prestige: I'm impressed

Guys. I gotta say that I'm impressed by prestige. This card will probably be a keeper past year one. And if I had one elite card to budget for It would be this one.

Yes Amex plat has better dispute support and warranty and loss insurance and yes CSP transfers to United etc but the 3/2/1 earn rate of prestige and the airline credit and $50 for Au really brings value. Not to mention AMAZING fx rate abroad.

Yesterday I tested Chase Ritz vs Citi Prestige and got 1.09 vs 1.08 EURUSD Rate. Outstanding. I didn't even bother with the Amex platinum. In fact it's not even in my wallet right now.

I also need to keep the premier around just to pickup the broader definition of travel vs the prestige card.

Ritz is in my wallet just because the card itself looks sexy when using a leather minimalist wallet and gets the wow factor from EVERYONE thus far. But it's not worth it for traveling. I'll just use the ritz back in the states to hit the $10k in non category spend then SD the card. Then switch to either United club or Fidelity for non category.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige: I'm impressed

So agree OP love this card...and the air credits could not be easier....no hassle.... I also really like the price rewind, alerts automatically pop up on line in my "statement" to start one and so far I have gotten about $40 bucks back, not alot but hey that's $40 I was not expecting....Citi did a nice job on this card.....

Message 2 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

The only thing this card is missing , and that's anmastercard fault, is that trip insurance only works if the ENTIRE fare is paid by the card. Makes it useless for us in the points/miles space. Chase still tops out for this purpose. So any air taxes or copay always goes on the ritz or United club for me.
Message 3 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

And Chase should really take a beating for their fx rates. Over the last year I've seen them be the WORST of the bunch: compared to Amex plat, Barclays arrival plus.

So as far as spend distribution going forward goes:

Foreign car rentals: Amex plat (they've been OUTSTANDING last year when a foreign rental agency put a bogus $2500 charge for nonexistent damages)

Hotels: ritz card for mariott properties otherwise prestige

Domestic car rentals: ritz or United club (primary coverage)

Gas: I haven't decided yet. I have BofA cash back 3% gas, citi premier 3x TYP or everyday preferred 3x (2x plus 50% boost)

Costco: fidelity 2% now and later when Costco and the card switch to visa.

Expensive purchases or items where I will need warranty coverage: Amex plat. Always.

Dodgy internet purchases or where I see dispute probability ; Amex.

Non category spend: United club or fidelity

Dining: ritz until total spend on the card hits $10k. Then prestige unless Chase freedom is paying 5x

Supermarkets: we've been shopping at Costco quite a bit so not as much spend there. But everyday preferred is the best bet for me at 4.5x MR unless Freedom is paying 5x. United is my preferred airline so I'm always looking to build up UA or UR balances.
Message 4 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

Amex plat is upsetting me, however. I've put over $40k on that card last year and got ZERO From Retentions. I've got a couple of months before AF renewal so they better step up. Even at net $250 cost the value is questionable without category spend bonuses. Not to mention I need to pay $175 for additional cards.
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
And Chase should really take a beating for their fx rates. Over the last year I've seen them be the WORST of the bunch: compared to Amex plat, Barclays arrival plus.

The rates are set by the network, not by the issuing bank (which can add on FTF but not use a different rate).  Generally the rate used depends on the posting date rather than purchase date, so stuff bought the same day on the same network may show different rates if they post on different days, making it harder to test!

Message 6 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

Citi needs a shopping portal. That's where Chase takes the win. I get incredible synergies between Ink/ freedom/ United club and the two portals : Chase and United MileagePlus
Message 7 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

@lurker understood. I do recall reading a thread on Ft Re Chase rate creeping up over the past little while
Message 8 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

Just checked visa for Jan 13 EURUSD:

Master Card for Jan 13:

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Glad you like your new card!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.