Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige and old accounts

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Citi Prestige and old accounts

For those of you who have the Citi Prestige, in what way do you maximize the benefits of this card? Currently, I use the Companion Ticket and purchase AA gift cards for the 200 statement credit that more than pay for the annual fee. But I would like to hear from you all of other possible alternatives ^_^

And regarding old accounts, I have my Discover It card and Wells Fargo Platinum card that I forget that I have because I never use. (I use the Discover only if the categories cover anything that I purchase). So, what type of spend do you all put on cards like these that you never use? I do not want to close them as these were my first cards, and they do not have an annual fee. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige and old accounts

I think the card is REALLY good for a small subset of people.  Apart from the benefits you mention, and the discount on air fare, the key is to fly a lot (to get flight points) AND then spend a lot on the card to get the flight points converted to TYP.   With the right balance this can be very good.   But flight points without the corresponding spend (on a card with few enhanced categories), not so useful. 

But the card has increased attraction with the ability to get 1.6c per point on AA, and access to the AA clubs.

Message 2 of 3
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige and old accounts

@longtimelurker wrote:

I think the card is REALLY good for a small subset of people.  Apart from the benefits you mention, and the discount on air fare, the key is to fly a lot (to get flight points) AND then spend a lot on the card to get the flight points converted to TYP.   With the right balance this can be very good.   But flight points without the corresponding spend (on a card with few enhanced categories), not so useful. 

But the card has increased attraction with the ability to get 1.6c per point on AA, and access to the AA clubs.

Very true, thank you for the response. I don't put much spend on the card. Hopefully Citi will one day allow for mile transfers like Chase. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.