cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige product change before activating it? possible?

tag
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Citi Prestige product change before activating it? possible?

I applied for the citi prestige and was approved for $15,000 but decided that i no longer want to pay the annual fee of $450.  Can i PC (product change) the citi prestige card before i activate the card?  I want the doubel cash card instead.

Will that cost me a hard inquiry?

If i have to keepthe card i'll suck it up and use the prestige to travel and reap the rewards in the next 12 months........

i otherwise have great credit, no lates, less than 1% utilization, etc

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige product change before activating it? possible?

@quest208 wrote:

I applied for the citi prestige and was approved for $15,000 but decided that i no longer want to pay the annual fee of $450.  Can i PC (product change) the citi prestige card before i activate the card?  I want the doubel cash card instead.

If i have to keepthe card i'll suck it up and use the prestige to travel and reap the rewards in the next 12 months........

Gotta keep it a year.

Message 2 of 17
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@quest208 wrote:

Gotta keep it a year.

This. Citi is pretty strict about the 1-year requirement. 

Message 3 of 17
quest208
Frequent Contributor

roger that.  I"ll suck it up and reap the rewards for the year.  I'll be traveling next month this will give me an opportunity to test drive the perks of this card.  Thank You as i return to the garden for another year

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 4 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Next time, research before applying and run the numbers -- they won't lie -- as to whether you can justify a fee. Sometimes we get caught up in the hype and popularity and ignore what may be best for us.

Anyway, luckily you only need to wait one year so not the end of the world.

Message 5 of 17
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I did faulty research i guess.  I looked up some websites that said CITI would waive the fee for military members.   But come to find out CITI does not waive fees on the Prestige card.

Although i would prefer to PC the card, I will happily use the card and reap all the benefits of being a rockstar.

Thanks!!!

TU08 762
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really not that bad. I did the math (I'm still in school so $450 is a lot to me) and figured it's easily worth it for the first year. Remember that you can use the airline fee credit once per calendar year, so the $500 from those already put you ahead $50. The value really starts adding up if you use the global entry credit, 4th night free hotel benefit, lounge access, and the ability to use points on American for 1.6 cents each. Even if you use nothing but the airline fee credits, you still make money with this card.

Message 7 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@quest208 wrote:

Yeah I did faulty research i guess.  I looked up some websites that said CITI would waive the fee for military members.   But come to find out CITI does not waive fees on the Prestige card.

Although i would prefer to PC the card, I will happily use the card and reap all the benefits of being a rockstar.

Thanks!!!

They waived my fee Smiley Tongue 

Alternative for you though is to open a citigold account for 2 months (free for 2 months). Will lower your annual fee to $350, then you can cancel/downgrade citigold. Saves you $100. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@quest208 wrote:

Thanks!!!

Alternative for you though is to open a citigold account for 2 months (free for 2 months). Will lower your annual fee to $350, then you can cancel/downgrade citigold. Saves you $100. 

I used the Citigold trick to my advantage to acquire PITA to use AA miles and more TYP. The lower fee was just gravy.

Message 9 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@quest208 wrote:

Thanks!!!

I used the Citigold trick to my advantage to acquire PITA to use AA miles and more TYP. The lower fee was just gravy.

I got 40,000 thank you points (worth $640 in paid fares for AA/US flights) as a bonus for citigold 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.