Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige question

tag
weeehooo
Valued Member

Citi Prestige question

Did someone say they did away with the 15% discount on travel booked through citi? 

Citi AAdvantage World Elite 38.5K | OCCU Duck Card 20k | PenFed Cash Rewards 13.5k | Chase Freedom 9k | Citi Dividends 9k | US Bank Club Carlson 9k | Southwest Visa Signature 8.5k | US Bank Cash + 7.5k | Discover it 7.5k | Citi Prestige World Elite 7k | Sallie Mae 6.3k | Chase IHG Rewards 5.6k | Amex Hilton Honors 5.5k

Less then 1% Util, Last baddie off my CR 12/23/13, in the garden until 12/14
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige question

That was on the Premier, I think people have reported it is still on the Prestige

Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

The 15% discount is also a perk for the Citi Prestige.

The exact wording in the welcome package is: "Get 15% discount on first class or economy class airfare you purchase through your travel benefits provider with your Citi Prestige Card."

I did call to ask about this perk before, but it just seems medicore or non-existent.

You can either book your flights over the phone with a rep, or you can do it online at https://www.thankyoucompanion.com/ssl/travel/gateway.rvlx

Prices are pretty much in line with Amex Travel, Chase UR Travel. If price is your top priority, you probably will get a better price by using other sites, such as kayak, expedia, etc. If you are flying to a popular hub during peak travel season, then the less likely you'll actually see any real discounts, since most sites are pretty much the same during those times. However, there are indeed flights that are sometimes cheaper than other travel sites, except that most of those flights are either very early in the morning or very late at night. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Enharu, how do you like your Prestige card?  It's on my short list for 2014.

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The value does indeed vary but on the flights I booked with the Premier (to Verona in July and August) the price with discount was about $100 cheaper than anything else i found.   Not a great amount, but more than enough to pay the annual fee (it it hadn't been waived for the first year).  But enharu's finding is common, the best deals are on flights you might not want to take.    Another issue is that the discount is on the non-tax part.  For flights to the UK, most of the price is tax, so the savings was like $10.

Message 5 of 9
weeehooo
Valued Member

Just got the card today, was looking to utlize the companion ticket and $200 on incidentals as my main priorities.  If i can use it to book work trips, i guess that could be a good benefit to for the TY points. 

Citi AAdvantage World Elite 38.5K | OCCU Duck Card 20k | PenFed Cash Rewards 13.5k | Chase Freedom 9k | Citi Dividends 9k | US Bank Club Carlson 9k | Southwest Visa Signature 8.5k | US Bank Cash + 7.5k | Discover it 7.5k | Citi Prestige World Elite 7k | Sallie Mae 6.3k | Chase IHG Rewards 5.6k | Amex Hilton Honors 5.5k

Less then 1% Util, Last baddie off my CR 12/23/13, in the garden until 12/14
Message 6 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Enharu, how do you like your Prestige card?  It's on my short list for 2014.

Don't really like the card to be honest. I think the Amex Plat and JPM Ritz are better alternatives. There're also other $400ish AF cards that you can consider as well.

I think the biggest downside overall is that TY points aren't really worth much, at least to me.

However, if you do fly a lot, or can just buy a lot of air tickets for other people, and are able to spend a lot on that card, it can be one of the best rewards churner cards out there.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 9
awp317
Frequent Contributor

I prefer my citi prestige to my amex, I think the people are nicer, and IMO the rewards are better than the amex. It has become my new card to use. Also it being a world elite master card means its accepted more places than the amex. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

I prefer my citi prestige to my amex, I think the people are nicer, and IMO the rewards are better than the amex. It has become my new card to use. Also it being a world elite master card means its accepted more places than the amex. 

The reason I have been holding off is that the card (like Amex Plat) lacks bonus categories, but to redeem flight points, you have to put the spend on this card (rather than another TY card).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.