Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Pseudo-Reallocation

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Citi Pseudo-Reallocation

I've heard Citi doesn't do true CL reallocations. If I decide to close DC or request a major CLD on it, is there some suggested length of time to wait before requesting a CLI on Costco?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Pseudo-Reallocation

For myself, closed Citi Forward Visa and was able to transfer the credit limit (less $500) to another Citi credit card using the csr and the retention department. Must have been YMMV as many people were not able to do what I did.

Message 2 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi really doesn't reallocate limits. They basically will do a HP and if you are eligible for a CLI on the card they will "move" limit from another card to give you what you requested. Unless you're at exposure limit I don't see much advantage in this approach over just a HP CLI on the card you want to increase. Either way you're incurring a HP.

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

How long have you had the Costco card and what's the current CL? And, what's the CL on Double Cash? Do you not foresee using the DC at all?
Message 4 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
How long have you had the Costco card and what's the current CL? And, what's the CL on Double Cash? Do you not foresee using the DC at all?

Opened AA Platinum Jan 2016, PCed to Costco Jan 2017, $10.6k

Opened Prestige May 2016, PCed to DC June 2018, $16k

I switched from Prestige to CSR as my main travel card, but PCed the card to DC because I had some price rewinds to complete and stuff under extended warranty. I used price rewind very aggressively and liked the additional annual benefit cap from having a second Citi card.

With CFU/CSR and BBP/Schwab, a flat 2% card has to offer something special to be useful...and DC is losing those features.

*Some sort of no-fee, 0% BT promo might be nice and make the card useful...but Citi hasn't ever sent me one.*

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Given your current line up, there really aren't many other PC choices left within the Citi spectrum, so if you don't want to "lose" the $16K (if it's of any tangible value) you can consider the CL "redistribution" option, albeit via HP.

That being said, you can organically grow the Costco card over time via SPs and see if it yields some comparable capacity. But, it's totally up to you if you want to close DC altogether or CLD. If you close it, allow their internal systems about 30 days to cycle out the CL.
Message 6 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Given your current line up, there really aren't many other PC choices left within the Citi spectrum, so if you don't want to "lose" the $16K (if it's of any tangible value) you can consider the CL "redistribution" option, albeit via HP.

That being said, you can organically grow the Costco card over time via SPs and see if it yields some comparable capacity. But, it's totally up to you if you want to close DC altogether or CLD. If you close it, allow their internal systems about 30 days to cycle out the CL.

Good to know. I like big CLs, but really only care when they're on cards that get meaningful spend.

Maybe the thing to do is to ask for a CLD on DC and SD it.

- I can let all the residual benefit stuff and the 1% for payments die off.

- I can get another SP CLI on Costco when I might need it.

- I can keep my overall Citi credit limited for easy approval on a future AA card.

Message 7 of 10
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For myself, closed Citi Forward Visa and was able to transfer the credit limit (less $500) to another Citi credit card using the csr and the retention department. Must have been YMMV as many people were not able to do what I did.

I would like to try this as well.  I have a new Citi Premier that only came with a $3k limit so it makes it kind of hard to put some spend on it.  

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 8 of 10
yfan
Valued Contributor

A couple of years ago, when Citi took over the Costco accounts from American Express, I tried to reallocate some of my existing limits from my other cards to it. Citi was able to transfer the limits between other Citi cards, but not to or from the Costco one. It may have had something to do with it being recently acquired, but I haven't tried to do it since. Maybe time to try again.

Then again, I'm starting to use the Bank of America Cash rewards as my travel card with that category as the 3% category and even got a CLI on that card recently... Are there travel benefits to the Citi Costco card that sets it apart from the BofA Cash Rewards? If not, I'm not sure I want to spend my time trying to convince Citi.

Message 9 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

A couple of years ago, when Citi took over the Costco accounts from American Express, I tried to reallocate some of my existing limits from my other cards to it. Citi was able to transfer the limits between other Citi cards, but not to or from the Costco one. It may have had something to do with it being recently acquired, but I haven't tried to do it since. Maybe time to try again.

Then again, I'm starting to use the Bank of America Cash rewards as my travel card with that category as the 3% category and even got a CLI on that card recently... Are there travel benefits to the Citi Costco card that sets it apart from the BofA Cash Rewards? If not, I'm not sure I want to spend my time trying to convince Citi.

BofA CR has a 3% FTF, so that limits its value as a travel card vs. Costco. The main advantages of the Costco card are the price protection and extended warranty features, but the former will be gone soon.

If my travel slows down a lot, I might open a Merrill Edge account and get Cash Rewards + Premium Rewards.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.