Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured Card to Unsecured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Secured Card to Unsecured

So, I've read a lot of different posts about the Citi Secured card converting, and I was wondering if any of you all have recent, personal experience with this? I applied in Jan.2018 and received/activated it in Feb. 2018. It should upgrade in August/September, correct? I've also read that they do a hard pull for this. Is that true?

Last question:

some have said that it does upgrade to the diamond preferred or something like that, but can you change it? I'd like to have some type of rewards card...not just a plain credit card with no benefits. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Secured Card to Unsecured

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I've read a lot of different posts about the Citi Secured card converting, and I was wondering if any of you all have recent, personal experience with this? I applied in Jan.2018 and received/activated it in Feb. 2018. It should upgrade in August/September, correct? I've also read that they do a hard pull for this. Is that true?

Last question:

some have said that it does upgrade to the diamond preferred or something like that, but can you change it? I'd like to have some type of rewards card...not just a plain credit card with no benefits. 

When you opened the account, there was information on the date that it qualified for graduation (mine qualifies in Apr 2020 - they told me so).  So yes, 18 months should be Aug/Sept for you.
They will do a hardpull to be sure you meet their qualifications for graduation.
It will automatically upgrade to a Diamond Preferred, but yes, you can product change it (I plan on PCing mine to a Double-Cash).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

About a month ago I got a letter from Citi that said my card graduated and they were sending me a check for my deposit and a new card, 2-3 months early from the full 18 months.

I think it said that the card wouldn't come for quite some time..

I haven't got the check yet, or the card, or a cli.. 

I'm wondering where that check is.. 

Also, I did not get a hard pull that I know of..

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that’s awesome , my current maturity date is 4/17/20 but I read that the account can be unsecured within 18 months, so I hope I get 2-3 months early like you. Did you just make multiple payments in a month or keep small recurring bills on there?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.