Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured Card

tag
Joobie
Regular Contributor

Citi Secured Card

Very disappointed in Citi. I've been making my payments on time & my credit score has increased tremendously. They still chose not to graduate my secured card after 18 months. NO reasoning that they will give you. Just "We want to give you another opportunity of building credit with us for the next 12 months." I want to close this card so badly but I won't. Just wanted to vent. Does anyone know the qualifications or things they look at?

Starting Credit Scores:

Current Credit Scores:

Current Credit Cards (In Order of Approval):
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Secured Card

@Joobie wrote:

Very disappointed in Citi. I've been making my payments on time & my credit score has increased tremendously. They still chose not to graduate my secured card after 18 months. NO reasoning that they will give you. Just "We want to give you another opportunity of building credit with us for the next 12 months." I want to close this card so badly but I won't. Just wanted to vent. Does anyone know the qualifications or things they look at?

They did the exact same thing to me.   I had a $1K secured card.   I wanted to develop a relationship with them so I could later get their American Airlines cards.   When I got their letter asking for another year, I had over $200K in limits and my smallest limit, aside from Citi, was $5,000.   I told them to close it.    

Message 2 of 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They've been doing this a lot lately. Something may have changed for them internally.

Message 3 of 5
Trini88
Established Contributor

I've noticed more and more complaints about this. I would be upset too, most time I could let my card be secured is 12 months before I closed it.

Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 5
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Joobie wrote:

Precisely why DW got the Citi Meijer Mastercard instead of rolling the dice with their primary lineup. She was offered that co-branded version with a pretty nice SL with a 655 FICO score.

DP: 600 seems to be the minimum score to earn the Meijer store card, 650 the co-branded card.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.