cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured Grad: PC then CLI or CLI then PC?

tag
gibeon
Established Contributor

Citi Secured Grad: PC then CLI or CLI then PC?

My Citi Secured ($500 cl) graduated and just switched over online to a Diamond Preferred. (I have not received the check yet.)

I already have another Diamond Preferred at $7k CL, and I'm looking for recommendations if I should request a CLI then request a PC (probably to Double-Cash), or if I should request a PC to double-cash and then request a cli... 

The CL did not increase with graduation automatically.

Thanks in advance! 

- Gib

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Secured Grad: PC then CLI or CLI then PC?

I am sorry that I do not have an answer to your questions. However, I do have one for you. Did it take the full 18 months to graduate? I am currently at about the 14th.
Message 2 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

tl:dr It took the full 18 months...

I either applied for, or was approved for, the card on 10/25/2015.

I got a letter a month or two ago that I would be graduating this month and that my deposit would be mailed to me. (That same letter or another one also said that my annual fee was being waived. Huzzah!)

So, yes. It took the full 18 months to actually graduate, but I found out it was going to graduate at around 16 months. 

I got a "pre-approved" mailer for a regular Diamond Preferred card around 9 months after opening the secured card, which was very unexpected as I had opened about 20 additional cards between the Secured and the Pre-Approval for the Diamond Preferred.

Message 3 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats to you Gibeon!! Thats exciting newsSmiley Happy..

I would probably PC it to the DC, and then CLI, but thats just me.

Also, did you said you noticed it change online from the Diamond to the DP....did they sp or hp you for graduation?? and when did they do that? A week before? a month before??

Thanks for the infoSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

Pizza - If you say to PC then CLI, then that's what I'll do! 

They did a HP on TU the same day my March 3rd statement cut, my April statement cut April 5, but I definitely had the letter well before April 5. 

Online the image switched within the last week from the Diamond (Blue) to the Diamond Preferred (Black). It also says "Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card - xxxx" to the right of the card image as well. The "xxxx" are the same last 4 numbers as my Diamond Card.

For more data points:

I generally used the card once or twice a month for a coffee or something, and sometimes for a couple hundred dollars. I think I always PIF'd (and usually before a statement cut) except maybe once.

I opened at least 25 cards after getting the secured card - 20+ of those were bank cards.

I have infinite inquiries. (186 total across the big three as of April 6). 

I also have 1 to 2 paid CO's per B, and 4 to 8 accounts ever late per B. (Thanks student loans for being 2 new accounts every semester...)

I'm now 2 years and 2 months into my "rebuild." (No BK, just didn't have any credit and was in the high 500's for a few years.)

Message 5 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gibeon wrote:

Pizza - If you say to PC then CLI, then that's what I'll do! 

They did a HP on TU the same day my March 3rd statement cut, my April statement cut April 5, but I definitely had the letter well before April 5. 

Online the image switched within the last week from the Diamond (Blue) to the Diamond Preferred (Black). It also says "Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card - xxxx" to the right of the card image as well. The "xxxx" are the same last 4 numbers as my Diamond Card.

For more data points:

I generally used the card once or twice a month for a coffee or something, and sometimes for a couple hundred dollars. I think I always PIF'd (and usually before a statement cut) except maybe once.

I opened at least 25 cards after getting the secured card - 20+ of those were bank cards.

I have infinite inquiries. (186 total across the big three as of April 6). 

I also have 1 to 2 paid CO's per B, and 4 to 8 accounts ever late per B. (Thanks student loans for being 2 new accounts every semester...)

I'm now 2 years and 2 months into my "rebuild." (No BK, just didn't have any credit and was in the high 500's for a few years.)

thanks for the info Gibeon!  Mine is supposed graduate very late December this year.  My secured card will be 1 yr end of June. 

Also, Im not saying my way is the best way PC vs CLI,  some might say it probably doesnt matter what you do first.  But, since your secured card already has a $500 cl, you can PC it now to the DC, since I believe their min sl is $500 for that card. 

Now....since my card is only $300 cl, I would have to CLI first, then PC to the DC....Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

PIZZA I LOVE YOU! (PC and CLI approved)

Anyway... I had to call (ugh) to PC because it wouldn't work on chat.

The automated system doesn't understand "product change" so tell it your calling about your limit, then it will ask if Increase Decrease or Other.

Say OTHER

Then when the human answers, tell them you want to PC. They will check for a product chage offer.

PC went off without a hitch.

THEN when he asked if there was anything else, I asked about APR Reduction offers (currently 22.74%!!!) or CLI offers.

We could't APR reduce because of the PC, but I WAS eligible for a SP CLI request.

Put in the request (no preferred amount was asked for) and came back with approval for $1,000 Total CL. Wish it would have been closer to $5k, but I'll take it!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.