Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured card early graduation!!

tag
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Citi Secured card early graduation!!

A year ago citi was the first bank to embrace me with no credit history.

I opened a secured card and was told it'll graduate in 18 months.

2 months ago BofA graduated my other secured card around the 10ish month mark upon a call.

CITI graduated the card this month, 12ish month mark,. However all i got was a check in the mail with no letter or explanation. I'm not sure how the card was titled previously in the app or online account area but i guess its safe to say its graduated?

For date points, my scores have been around 745 to 730ish,

The little ding is due to the new Chase amazon and cap one QS1 cards i got 1-2 months ago.
I was scared when applying for new credit but now i wish i had applied for the QS rather than the QS1.

Update :* An update on this. I called citis helpline and was able to PC it to Double Cash without issues. I asked for CLI but was told i should wait till I recieve and activate my card thats already processed to be sent out. It's the card I was assigned after graduation from secured. The final card Double Cash will arrive in about 2 weeks. 😍

Thank you

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Secured card early graduation!!

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the early graduation!! I too have a Citi secured. Currently at the 9 month mark. I only use it for auto payments like Netflix and the like and PIF every month. Love seeing posts of it graduating, can’t wait until I’m there. Thanks!
Message 3 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Congrats! I would assume that means you've graduated

Message 4 of 12
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the graduation!

Message 5 of 12
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I was able to confirm its graduated because in the citi mobile app, the blue card image has changed to a stunning Black one and now its says Citi Diamond Preferred.

I plan on hopefully PC'ing it to some other Citi card, as well as PC'ing the bofa card to something elsa as well.

I'm at 4 cards right now and Experian suggest I have a 5th account just so I'm not considered a thin-file.

The 5th account I had was a secured loan that is paid now so I'm not sure if it really has much real weight when being considered for future apps.

10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 6 of 12
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

An update on this. I called citis helpline and was able to PC it to Double Cash without issues. I asked for CLI but was told i should wait till I recieve and activate my card thats already processed to be sent out. It's the card I was assigned after graduation from secured. The final card Double Cash will arrive in about 2 weeks.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats 🎉
Message 8 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NaaryalHead wrote:
An update on this. I called citis helpline and was able to PC it to Double Cash without issues. I asked for CLI but was told i should wait till I recieve and activate my card thats already processed to be sent out. It's the card I was assigned after graduation from secured. The final card Double Cash will arrive in about 2 weeks.

An item to keep in mind that unless your account qualifies for a (SP) CLI, then it will be processed as a HP, if you are comfortable with that.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my secured deposit check in the mail today, checked my history and it's been 12-months since I applied for the card (I heard it was 18-month as well). Only got the check like you, so I decided to look it up and arrived here haha. I'm hoping to do a PC to the double cash as well (been eyeing it for a while). Hope I'm successful like you, cheers on the new card!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.