Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Simplicity card the latest on my trim down

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Citi Simplicity card the latest on my trim down

Well I have had this card for 1.3 years, started with 2800SL and I have gotten one modest increase of 1500. I used the BT feature for this card and paid it off and have run very little through the card. This was a bank that we included in our BK in 2005, so when I finally got off their 'BL" I was kinda excited to finally get back in. I have tried unsuccesfully to try to convert this card to something that I could actually use, but no dice on numerous attempts.

Although this card was good for the BT feature, it virtually serves no other purpose to me, I don't revolve a balance and they have never offered any other BT deals since the initial one.

So I decided to close it, again their customer service wasn't too concerned and said I could "apply" for a different Citicard if I wanted to, no thank you.

Trimming the herd, trimming the herdSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Simplicity card the latest on my trim down

I also had it for 1.3 years too and I'm on your closing train right now lol! Screenshot_20190621-185046.jpg

Message 2 of 9
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Honestly, I did thought about getting cash back credit cards before and come to think about it as long as UR and MR doesn't get devalued with the points, it yields over cash back. Cash back will always be king cause it's fixed, however when I look at the DC and Dividend, it had threshold. My US Bank Cash 365, is 1.5 but it doesn't have a minimum, I'd rather take that any day over DC and Dividend, but what makes sense for me, wouldn't make sense for someone else.
Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Honestly, I did thought about getting cash back credit cards before and come to think about it as long as UR and MR doesn't get devalued with the points, it yields over cash back. Cash back will always be king cause it's fixed, however when I look at the DC and Dividend, it had threshold. My US Bank Cash 365, is 1.5 but it doesn't have a minimum, I'd rather take that any day over DC and Dividend, but what makes sense for me, wouldn't make sense for someone else.

As someone who typically redeems in increments of flights and hotel rooms, delays for cash back don't bother me.

Waiting even a year for 2% instead of getting 1.5% today is like earning a 33% return (on a very small amount of money). Adjust for the fact you probably wouldn't need to wait a year, as well as the reality that the 1.5% would trickle in over a year instead of being available as a lump sum on day one, and the 33% return rises.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

True, but unless you spend a lot of money, it really makes doesn't make a big difference. But if you do, and especially if you do business charges then I could understand, and it does make a big difference.
Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats Mom on Simplifying your lifeSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Unfortunately the Simplicity can never be PC'd, something to do with the terms about no late fee/ no penalty rate etc which they don't offer on other products, and this prevents a PC. Anyone who's wanting a Simplicity should just go for a Diamond Preferred which still offers a long BT promo and can be PC'd after.

Message 7 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Boom! Congrats! I love me a good closure story lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

Unfortunately the Simplicity can never be PC'd, something to do with the terms about no late fee/ no penalty rate etc which they don't offer on other products, and this prevents a PC. Anyone who's wanting a Simplicity should just go for a Diamond Preferred which still offers a long BT promo and can be PC'd after.

This is not entirely accurate.  It is perhaps one of the hardest CCs to PC, but not impossible.  Sure, there are other Citi alternatives, but let's be clear on the "never" part since a variety of [Simplicity] accounts are eligible for PC.  There's been plenty of DPs of individuals that have been able to do so. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.