Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Simplicity vs. Thank You...Need opinions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Simplicity vs. Thank You...Need opinions

I've been doing some serious gardening over the past two years, aside from a $7500 Discover Personal Loan (11/17/11) I opened to payoff my high APR CC's.

I'd like to add a couple of cards to my list.  I know I want a Chase SW card, mainly for the 50,000 pts.  I don't care how high the limit is since I'll only use it for flights and car rentals.

First, I'd like to get a high limit card ($5k) with no AF, and a 0% APR deal.  This would be in my wallet mainly as an emergency card, and to decrease my overall utilization.

I was set on getting a Simplicity (18 months 0% APR), and ordinarily it has a 3-tier variable rate (b/t 12.99-22.99). I don't think I would qualify for the lowest rate.

I recently received a mail offer; the APR promotion is lowered to 12months on purchases, but the APR listed is a set 12.99%, not 3-tiered.

The ThankYou offer I have in hand offers 15 months intro APR on both purchases and transfers, and the APR listed is a set 12.99%, not 3-tiered.

Obviously, this card is a rewards card ($100 bonus offered, too), while the Simplicity is not.

Does one card give out a higher initial CL than the other?  Anyone have both cards?  Which do you like better?

As always, all personal experiences and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
littlesister
Contributor

Re: Citi Simplicity vs. Thank You...Need opinions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been doing some serious gardening over the past two years, aside from a $7500 Discover Personal Loan (11/17/11) I opened to payoff my high APR CC's.

I'd like to add a couple of cards to my list.  I know I want a Chase SW card, mainly for the 50,000 pts.  I don't care how high the limit is since I'll only use it for flights and car rentals.

First, I'd like to get a high limit card ($5k) with no AF, and a 0% APR deal.  This would be in my wallet mainly as an emergency card, and to decrease my overall utilization.

I was set on getting a Simplicity (18 months 0% APR), and ordinarily it has a 3-tier variable rate (b/t 12.99-22.99). I don't think I would qualify for the lowest rate.

I recently received a mail offer; the APR promotion is lowered to 12months on purchases, but the APR listed is a set 12.99%, not 3-tiered.

The ThankYou offer I have in hand offers 15 months intro APR on both purchases and transfers, and the APR listed is a set 12.99%, not 3-tiered.

Obviously, this card is a rewards card ($100 bonus offered, too), while the Simplicity is not.

Does one card give out a higher initial CL than the other?  Anyone have both cards?  Which do you like better?

As always, all personal experiences and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have both cards. My citi thank you 8000 and my simplicity is 7700.

I like the thank you rewards and all , but my simplicity has a o apr for 18 months, then 13.9 apr after. Best of all, no fees at all.

Message 2 of 3
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Simplicity vs. Thank You...Need opinions

If the Thank You is offering $100 and 0% intro for 15 months, I'd go with this over the Simplicity.

However, for the rewards, you're taking a higher risk.  If you're late with even one payment with the Thank you, they can raise your interest to the default rate.  My understanding is the Simplicity won't do that if you're late with a payment.

If my objective were to primarily finance a purchase or balance transfer a balance for the intro rate, I'd opt for the Simplicity.  Otherwise, I'd go for the rewards.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.