Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Simplicity vv Citi Diamond Preferred

tag
Nolan34
Contributor

Citi Simplicity vv Citi Diamond Preferred

I received a Citi Diamond Preferred invitation code this past weekend and was approved. Today I received the Simplicity Invitation code but was denied. Which card is harder to get? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Simplicity vv Citi Diamond Preferred

Most likely you met Diamond's credit criteria but not Simplicity? Maybe someone else has had the same experience.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

The approval criteria is about the same for both. Both also have typically the same 0% promos, APRs- ect..
They just have different benefits. More than likely- they want to see how you handle this account with them before another financing CC approval. JMHO.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@mdieter1982 wrote:

I received a Citi Diamond Preferred invitation code this past weekend and was approved. Today I received the Simplicity Invitation code but was denied. Which card is harder to get? 

About the same.

You just got the Diamond Preferred account, so most likely Citi wants you to use that card for a few months before extending you more credit.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

I think Citi has a policy where you can only get 1 card within a certain period of time. I think its 180 days. Though this seems to be a YMMV type of thing as well(There are reports of this going both ways, applying to TYP earning cards only, etc across different forums I read). If it is your first Citi card, this may be the reason. Have you called for recon?

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 5 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

I think Citi has a policy where you can only get 1 card within a certain period of time. I think its 180 days. Though this seems to be a YMMV type of thing as well(There are reports of this going both ways, applying to TYP earning cards only, etc across different forums I read). If it is your first Citi card, this may be the reason. Have you called for recon?

According to the EO, 2 cards in a 60 day period.

And according to several blogs site, 1 card app per 48 hours. The 2nd app within 48hours timeframe will be automatically declined, and worst part is sometimes they'll still pull an inquiry even though the outcome is already predetermined :/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 7
Nolan34
Contributor

Yes I did. They said they couldn't tell me the reason but will receive something in the mail 7-10 business days
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.