cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Slashed Credit Line - What is this score!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Slashed Credit Line - What is this score!?

I believe it's been stated that scores used for "monitoring" are not neccessarily the same ones used for credit decisions.

In the event they deny or approve you, they will say which score was used in that determination and who furnished it. Which is usually different than where they retrieved the score for monitoring. 

I've just never known them to be 100 to 1K point difference like OP stated.

Message 21 of 33
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The 1 to 2500 score range is likely for an internal Citi risk score.  I just looked at my Citi account to see if there was a score listed on the letters for previous CLI denials I've had for asking too soon.  Since they improved their system and no longer allow you to request prior to 6 months since the last CLI on a card, the most recent one was August 2019, but it simply says it was denied for too many recently opened accounts (which wasn't the true reason; that was always the reason I have been given for denial when I asked a day or two too early and then received a CLI a few days later) based in whole or in part on information in a report from Equifax.  No score is given.

Message 22 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

You may be confusing what lenders use versus what they give you access to. Just because you can see a VantageScore on their online portal does not mean they use that themselves.

Not quite this situation, and maybe I am misremembering but I thought at some point that if a lender gave a FICO score (rather than something else) free to their users on a periodic basis, that had to be the version that they used for decision making?  (So some FICO rule, that doesn't apply if the issuer gives a Vantage score.  They can still use FICO for decision making)

That is FICO Open Access which came about circa 2014 after TransUnion was giving away VS3 to anyone that would show it to their users.

Basically states that if a FICO score is pulled periodically as part of account reviews, it can be displayed to the consumer free of charge.

As Janus states that isn't quite the same as underwriting on that score; however, I don't know if a single lender that is not using their account review score during underwriting as well.  It wouldn't be that smart from a data analytics perspective anyway, if some score is giving you better results on review, switch your underwriting to it too, duh Smiley Wink.

        
Message 23 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

You may be confusing what lenders use versus what they give you access to. Just because you can see a VantageScore on their online portal does not mean they use that themselves.

Not quite this situation, and maybe I am misremembering but I thought at some point that if a lender gave a FICO score (rather than something else) free to their users on a periodic basis, that had to be the version that they used for decision making?  (So some FICO rule, that doesn't apply if the issuer gives a Vantage score.  They can still use FICO for decision making)

That is FICO Open Access which came about circa 2014 after TransUnion was giving away VS3 to anyone that would show it to their users.

Basically states that if a FICO score is pulled periodically as part of account reviews, it can be displayed to the consumer free of charge.

As Janus states that isn't quite the same as underwriting on that score; however, I don't know if a single lender that is not using their account review score during underwriting as well.  It wouldn't be that smart from a data analytics perspective anyway, if some score is giving you better results on review, switch your underwriting to it too, duh Smiley Wink.

Thanks, I thought it was you that had mentioned it before!   So I had it the wrong way round, if they use it for review, they can provide free

Message 24 of 33
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I know this thread is aging out, but wanted to share a DP.

I was denied for a CLI last month and just received the letter explaining why. They pulled TU and assigned me a score of 929. It states:

The consumer reporting agency listed above also provided us with your credit score of 929, as of June 30, 2020, which we used in making our decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your consumer report and can change as the information in your report changes. Credit scores can range from 1 to 2500 - the higher the score, the better. The key factors that adversely affected your score are:

• There are too many recent increases in balance on revolving accounts
  • Your credit report shows too many inquiries
  • Months since most recent delinquency is too short
  • There are too many revolving or charge accounts with a ratio of balance to credit limit that is too high
  • There is not enough available credit on active or open bankcard accounts

For comparison, my Experian FICO 08 score ranges around 750-770, roughly. At the same time, my statement balances rarely go over 1% and I don't have any delinquencies, so I'm not sure what's going on. 

[2/2019]
Message 25 of 33
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NJCasper wrote:

the consumer agency above provided us with your credit score of 332 as of May 12" and it says scores can range from 1 to 2500.

What's the name of the Consumer Agency?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 26 of 33
sjt
Senior Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

I was denied for a CLI last month and just received the letter explaining why. They pulled TU and assigned me a score of 929. It states:

The consumer reporting agency listed above also provided us with your credit score of 929, as of June 30, 2020, which we used in making our decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your consumer report and can change as the information in your report changes. Credit scores can range from 1 to 2500 - the higher the score, the better. The key factors that adversely affected your score are:

• There are too many revolving or charge accounts with a ratio of balance to credit limit that is too high

For comparison, my Experian FICO 08 score ranges around 750-770, roughly. At the same time, my statement balances rarely go over 1% and I don't have any delinquencies, so I'm not sure what's going on. 

If you haven't already, I would call Citi to see what's going on if those reasons don't match your credit profile. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 27 of 33
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@jdbkiang wrote:

That is a negative reason code for TransRisk Account Management Model.  If you legitimately do not have any negative credit information on your TU report, I would call Citi for reconsideration.  If that's indeed TransRisk AR (not sure; I thought that used the same scale as TU FICO 04), I wonder if perhaps your file is returning a "0" instead of a blank (which means none) for time since most recent delinquency, in which case you might need to open up Netscape Navigator and hit up Citi on MySpace to ask them to upgrade to Windows XP.

Message 28 of 33
Remedios
Credit Mentor

That seems like a bs template letter.

I asked, and got a big chunky nope (I was a little bumhurt because I've been using at least 0.3% of my CL and I feel entitled 😐).

Inquires, if we are talking about TU, I have 4 scorable, but 9 altogether,  so I can see that as a reason. 

Increases in balances, not really. There would have been 3 cards reporting at the time of the last pull, with aggregate rounded to 1%, highest utilization on individual card was 7%. 

Ratio of cards with balances 3 out of 15

Time since most recent delinquency, 19 years. 

Not enough available credit...99% is available. 

Screenshot_20200804-124836_Drive.jpg

Oh Citi, we'll talk when AF hits. 

Message 29 of 33
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I found another instance of someone with no derogatory info also getting that negative reason code for months since most recent delinquency.  That's 3 people so far.  I think whatever model it is, whether it's TransRisk AR or something else, it is parsing TU's database wrong or translating the reason code incorrectly.  😬

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.