Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi TYP -> DC || SUCCESS

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Citi TYP -> DC || SUCCESS

Does anyone have insight as to whether I might have any luck converting my TYP card to a Double Cash if I go to a local branch?

I've had the Forward (soon to be TYP) for 8 years; annual spend under 10K; always on time; have often carried a balance, have adequate other credit, and really don't give a hoot or holler if it's cancelled.  I've been shot down online and on the phone for the product change.

Oh yeah - I'm really not a sock drawer kind of guy.  Now at 7 cards, I feel as tho' I have too many (the others being Barclay Ring MC, Amex BCE, Discover it, BoA Travel Rewards V, Citizens Bank World MC, CSP V).

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi TYP -> DC | better luck in branch?

What did the telephone rep tell you about PC options?

Message 2 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi has always refused to PC the forward. I’d wait until it converts officially to TYP and then call. A trip to the branch won’t help at this time IMO.
Message 3 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What did the telephone rep tell you about PC options?

That there weren't any.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 4 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Oh yeah - I'm really not a sock drawer kind of guy.  Now at 7 cards, I feel as tho' I have too many

I admire that attitude.  Very rare around this forum.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two representatives have told me there is a 12 month clock between conversions (even forced conversions ie. Forward -> TYP).

Once I receive the TYP card, I'll be calling back and asking for a manager. Maybe explaining how they'll receive zero revenue for a year while the TYP sits in my sockdrawer or receive lots of swipe fees if I can convert to a Costco Anywhere. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's doubtful that if you convey the "zero revenue" statement that it's going to get them riled up to convert your account. This process is systematic if the account provides such option.

As an aside, if you're going to be using your Costco instead of the TYP as far as swipes, you're still contributing to Citi's bottom line.

As some have mentioned already, wait for the PC to finalize from the Forward and then contact them after 45 days post-conversion to see if that option is available.
Message 7 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks, folks. 

The way forward (pun unintended) is clear.  Pay the balance down to zero (already no-fee 0% BT'd most of it), see that it reports as zero, and close it.

That was easy.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I edited my post. I want to convert the TYP to a Costco Anywhere. I would actually use that card.

Message 9 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: Citi TYP -> DC || Success

@expatCanuck wrote:

Thanks, folks. 

The way forward (pun unintended) is clear.  Pay the balance down to zero (already no-fee 0% BT'd most of it), see that it reports as zero, and close it.

That was easy.

So ... I called up Citi to make sure that, as I'd fully paid the December statement, there'd be no trailing interest assessed, and a zero balance would be reported to the bureaus as long as I paid for all new purchases before the statement cut.  Confirmed.

Then, just for kicks (and confident that I knew the answer), I advised that I wouldn't be activating the TYP and asked whether there was any possibility of converting to the Double Cash card.  And the rep said ( ... wait for it ... ), "Yes, as a valued customer, you are eligible for that conversion."  Smiley Surprised

Maybe they saw the (recently, marginally) improved EQ score?  Color me confused.

The moral of the story is that the story ain't got no moral. (Will it go 'round in circles ... .)

f2dc.jpg

Postscript: It's possibly worth noting that my prior calls and chat sessions were almost certainly handled by employees in an offshore call center; I'm confident that this most recent call was handled by someone employed in the lower 48.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.