Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You 5x

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Citi Thank You 5x

While the Citi ThankYou Preferred 5x link (from April 2011) has finally been taken down, The Miles Professor reports that a similar offer is available at (at least some) Citibank branches, see http://themilesprofessor.com/    This gives 5x on supermarkets, drug stores and gas for 12 months  (It is the Thank You card rather than the Thank You Preferred, which doesn't make much of a difference).

The expired offer was just 6K TYP after $300 spend, this is 15K TYP after $1000 which is much better.

For 12 months you can get an uncapped 5% off groceries, drug stores and gas.

5% on groceries is better than Amex BCE and Penfed for example, and you can use this once you reach the $6K on groceries on the Amex BCP.  5% off gas is as good as Penfed (and Penfed might reduce to 3%) and is uncapped, beating the rotating cards when they cover gas.  And same with drug stores....

Edit 5/25:  With an increasing crackdown, the methods mentioned in the link are not recommended, just use it as a good 5% card for 12 months.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You 5x

thanks a lot for sharing!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 26
jzon450

Thank you for posting this!

Message 3 of 26
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Good info, but for future reference, i think tactics like this are looked down upon by the myfico gods.
Message 4 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Good info, but for future reference, i think tactics like this are looked down upon by the myfico gods.

dont have to necessarily abuse it Smiley Tongue

some people spend quite a bit on groceries and this card will help. I will definitely go for it if I didnt have my 5X TYP.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 26
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I meant the reload tactic, not the promo offers xD
Message 6 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

ah i see. Citi is actively shutting people down and potentially blacklisting them, so it's best to not do it on any Citi cards.

So far only Chase and Discover haven't really been shutting people down, except for those who abused it excessively.

Message 7 of 26
jsucool76
Super Contributor

No such thing as excessive abuse. Abuse is abuse and it is usually all laid out in the T&Cs that you cant do it. :-P
Message 8 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

it really depends on what is defined as "excessive".

buying 1-2 prepaid gift cards each month? one can easily explain it as legitimate expense and get away with it.

buying 1000+ gift cards? definitely not most of the time, unless you can cook up some amazing convincing story that makes them think otherwise.

Message 9 of 26
beb86
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

+1....

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.