Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Thank You Premier

I felt citi is easier to get into than chase.
I apped for a chase amazon card as my first non AU card. Got declined and they double pulled me.
Then I apped for Discover, followed by the other cards in my signature... I have the citi prestige now, just haven't added it to my signature yet. I did my first app back in February 2015.
Message 21 of 33
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I apped for a chase amazon card as my first non AU card. Got declined and they double pulled me.
Then I apped for Discover, followed by the other cards in my signature... I have the citi prestige now, just haven't added it to my signature yet. I did my first app back in February 2015.

I think you're right - Citi IS easier to get into. Come to think of it, Citi and Capital One were the only 2 lenders that extended me credit when I was first starting to rebuid. One reason I think is that Chase has already sort of "arrived" and Citi wants what Chase has. So they are trying to get the consumers Chase pays less attention to. It's a pretty good way of building brand loyalty.

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not as popular because you need Prestige as well to get the best TYP value of 1.6 cents. Also locked into AA and have to buy the ticket and get it reimbursed with points, rather than just redeeming like with UR/MR. Only 5x bonus card was forward which is discontinued.  And Citi customer service is very YMMV.

So fewer redemption options, less valuable points which are also harder to earn, and less consistent service.

Message 23 of 33
onstar
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're right - Citi IS easier to get into. Come to think of it, Citi and Capital One were the only 2 lenders that extended me credit when I was first starting to rebuid. One reason I think is that Chase has already sort of "arrived" and Citi wants what Chase has. So they are trying to get the consumers Chase pays less attention to. It's a pretty good way of building brand loyalty.

I guess this is all YMMV. Chase has been the easiest for me to get into, and it has been the most generous with credit lines.

Anyway, back to the TY Premier, the only reason I didn't get it is because I have the Prestige, something a few people mentioned already. If you travel even a little bit, the Prestige is worth the extra AF. I got the Global Entry (worth $20/year), the $250 annual travel credit is super easy to use, and I absolutely take advantage of the Admirals Club Lounge at the airport.

Now, if the Premier still had the old earning structure (3X on restaurants and 2X travel; basically in the new structure, they flip-flopped the 3X with 2X), then maybe I'd consider it. Even then, I can't quite justify getting this when I already have the Prestige.

EDITED TO FIX: $250 annual travel credit for Prestige.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 24 of 33
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Just received my yesterday. The welcome kit is a big box that doesn't fit into my mailbox... quiet awesome cardSmiley Wink

Message 25 of 33
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

I guess this is all YMMV. Chase has been the easiest for me to get into, and it has been the most generous with credit lines.

Anyway, back to the TY Premier, the only reason I didn't get it is because I have the Prestige, something a few people mentioned already. If you travel even a little bit, the Prestige is worth the extra AF. I got the Global Entry (worth $20/year), the $200 annual travel credit is super easy to use, and I absolutely take advantage of the Admirals Club Lounge at the airport.

Now, if the Premier still had the old earning structure (3X on restaurants and 2X travel; basically in the new structure, they flip-flopped the 3X with 2X), then maybe I'd consider it. Even then, I can't quite justify getting this when I already have the Prestige.

Yes. It's not a bad card but it doesn't justify the AF for me when 2% is readily available today, even I don't have Prestige.

The $95 AF needs to be justified by the extra 1% on travel, which means I need to spend $9500 on travel annually... no waySmiley Sad

Message 26 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@saltwater

while the Prestige will get you 1.6 cents on AA, it is not necessary to make use of TYP. you can still transfer all points to partners with a premier card, or use them for travel booked through citi at a value of 1.25 cents per point.

you do not get "reimbursed" for travel through points. the points pay for the travel directly, and if you have enough points to cover the purchase, then no charge will ever hit your credit card. or you can do cash and points and pay the leftover if you don't have enough points.

thankyou points do not have less value than mr/ur. if you use them correctly you can get just as much value as any other program, and the citi premier card offers a higher earning potential than the chase sapphire preferred.

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
@saltwater

while the Prestige will get you 1.6 cents on AA, it is not necessary to make use of TYP. you can still transfer all points to partners with a premier card, or use them for travel booked through citi at a value of 1.25 cents per point.

you do not get "reimbursed" for travel through points. the points pay for the travel directly, and if you have enough points to cover the purchase, then no charge will ever hit your credit card. or you can do cash and points and pay the leftover if you don't have enough points.

thankyou points do not have less value than mr/ur. if you use them correctly you can get just as much value as any other program, and the citi premier card offers a higher earning potential than the chase sapphire preferred.

Too bad they don't let you use points and gift cards to pay for travel.

Message 28 of 33
Cory
Established Contributor

I totally concur with jsucool76 about the Citi Thank You Premier.

Although I have not redeemed any of my accumalated TYP's, I think that most of Citi cards are, if not the best credit cards, some of the best/top tier credit cards in the market. Citi has 11 airline transfer partners, and 1 hotel partner. The same way you would transfer MR's or UR's points to their partners for travel redemptions, Citi TYP's work the same way.  Citi Thank You Premier has a more strong earning potential, over the CSP and AMEX PRG in my experience. But to "each his own" I do not need other testimonials from others to convince me that the Citi TYP is great, I have experienced the card for myself.

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can use Thank You Points via Amazon if you load the card into your Amazon account. 

And I agree, that welcome box was crazy big. Did you know that you get 3% on tolls? So load up your toll tag for 3 points while your at it.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.