Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You point guru's help

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Citi Thank You point guru's help

In my never ending quest to downsize my card collection, I have a question....I have Citi prestige, premier and preferred....I want to get rid of one of them...Prestige stays for perks I use, now premier and preferred are on the block so to speak, premier gets extra points for travel gas and food with an AF, preferred has no fee and only gets 1 point per dollar...I was keeping the preferred only to "keep" TY points for no AF, but Citi does not seem to work that way, if I were to close Premier they would "take back those points" so having the no AF preferred does not "keep the point balance alive". Am I understanding that correctly? So there is no reason to keep the no AF card around to keep the points "alive". This is contrary to AMEX MR points and Chase UR points if I understand it....can someone clarify this. Thanks in advance for the clarification.....

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You point guru's help

Yes, Citi keeps track of the source of points, and once one of the sources is closed, points earned from that source expire within a fairly short timeframe.  There are Wiki posts on Flyertalk explaining this in great detail.

There are rumors that chase may be considering at least tracking source, so points earned on Freedom can't be used for transfer or 1.5x purchase.  But all rumors so far!

Message 2 of 7
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, Citi keeps track of the source of points, and once one of the sources is closed, points earned from that source expire within a fairly short timeframe.  There are Wiki posts on Flyertalk explaining this in great detail.

There are rumors that chase may be considering at least tracking source, so points earned on Freedom can't be used for transfer or 1.5x purchase.  But all rumors so far!

Thanks Longtimelurker....I will look on "the OTHER site"!  LOL   "no coke, pepsi".....

Message 3 of 7
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

OK so after going over "there" and seeing the info form citi itself, I was mistaken, the no AF card does get 2 points per dollar on some categories not just 1 per dollar, BUT the Premier seems better even with the AF, which I actually have never paid, when I call to close because of fee they ALWAYS give me a deal "spend 1K in a month and fee waved....etc" so I look at that one as free, the point thing if you close a specific card you lose those points IS TRUE...no reason to keep the no AF card around it will NOT keep ALL points active in my TY account...ok then good bye preferred.....thanks again longtime!!!

Message 4 of 7
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the DP on AF waiver on the TY Premier. I’ll keep mine in circulation as well if I can get them to not charge the AF.

Message 5 of 7
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:
Thanks for the DP on AF waiver on the TY Premier. I’ll keep mine in circulation as well if I can get them to not charge the AF.

If you go to "the other site" they will actually tell you the latest offers for waving the annual fees on MANY cards, this way you know what to expect when you call in, the offers change and you can actually ask the CSR for a specific AF waver offer, very cool I have used this since I got the card years ago....it works!!!

Message 6 of 7
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I was wondering what happened to my 118 points when I closed out the Thank You Preferred but kept the AT&T card. I thought the combined points account would keep the points safe. No biggie.

EQ8 817 (3/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 828 (4/24) EX9 848 (4/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.