cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ThankYou Preferred vs Citi Double Cash

Highlighted

Citi ThankYou Preferred vs Citi Double Cash

Good Morning!

I recently got an offer in the mail to convert to the Citi Double Cash card with no inquiry or application and wondering if it's a better card offer. I've had the Thank You Preferred Card for over 8 years now, it was my credit building card to jumpstart my credit file and allowed me to go from a 600 to 833 credit score just by using it maturely. Is the Double Cash card a better bet? I do enjoy cash back but I'm wondering if that outweighs the points I receive on the current card. On average I pay most bills with my card and pay them off in full, never accruing interest or carrying a balance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Citi ThankYou Preferred vs Citi Double Cash

The beauty of the Double Cash is cash:  2% cash back that can be saved and spent at face value with no hassle or conversion.  That isn't true with points.  It is also 2% on everything.  IRC, the ThankYou Preferred earned 2 points on dining/1 point on everything else and can't be transferred like the TYP on the Premier or Prestige?  My apologies if my information is outdated.  

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I would convert it. There's no situation where the Preferred beats the Double Cash -- at best, it matches it, but only on some categories, where the DC gets you 2% on everything.

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@joshk716 wrote:

Good Morning!

I recently got an offer in the mail to convert to the Citi Double Cash card with no inquiry or application and wondering if it's a better card offer. I've had the Thank You Preferred Card for over 8 years now, it was my credit building card to jumpstart my credit file and allowed me to go from a 600 to 833 credit score just by using it maturely. Is the Double Cash card a better bet? I do enjoy cash back but I'm wondering if that outweighs the points I receive on the current card. On average I pay most bills with my card and pay them off in full, never accruing interest or carrying a balance.

The DoubleCash card isn't perfect, but it's better than the ThankYou Preferred card, so yes go for the product change. Just make sure it doesn't show up as a new account.

Total revolving limits 653000 (575000 reporting)

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I used to do TYP until they devalued them in 2009 and then again when I converted to Double Cash in Feb 2015. Keep in mind points can be devalued at any time. I'll never again store up a bunch of TYP only to have them devalued by Citi. I wouldn't do it.

Edit: I misread your post. I thought you were asking if to convert Double Cash to a TYP card, which my answer is no. DC is a safer alternative to TYP. 

Scores, HPs/24 mos. (updated 11/20/20):
    Experian FICO Score 8 = 828, 1/24
    Experian FICO Score 9 = 813, 1/24
   TransUnion = 815, 1/24
    Equifax = 818, 0/24

Total 2019 rewards, incl. offers/deals = $1,709.07
Avg. rewards rate, incl. offers/deals = 3.92%

Total CL: $247,000

Cards (hover over for CL | interest rate | Date Opened):
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Good luck and let us know how things turn out

3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>11/2020 CCT EX 821 TU 826 EQ 840

Color me your color, baby
Color me your car
Color me your color, darling
I know who you are
Come up off your color chart
I know where you're comin' from
Call me (call me) on the line
Call me, call me any, anytime
Call me (call me) my love
You can call me any day or night
Call me

Blondie - Call me ( 1978 )
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I would convert it. There's no situation where the Preferred beats the Double Cash -- at best, it matches it, but only on some categories, where the DC gets you 2% on everything.

And as the double cash can earn TYPs instead, that's two TYP per $ on everything,  so as @kdm31091 says, no downside in converting 

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

Thanks all for the responses! It says in the mailer that it will NOT result as a credit pull and no application so once we close on our new house in 2 weeks, I'll do the conversion after, just to be safe. It seems like a better deal, especially since I pay most bills with my card to maximize points but right now the best cash back card I have is the Discover IT, will follow up when converted regarding any mysterious pulls or shenanigans.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.