Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ThankYou vs. Platinum Select Dividend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi ThankYou vs. Platinum Select Dividend

I am in the market for an additional credit card. I have been bombarded with pre-selected offers from Citi and knowing they pull EQ scores (which is my highest score) I think I have a good chance at approval with good terms.

i was all set to apply for this Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card. It is 2% cash back for the first year, and 1% on everything after that, including a $100 cash back bonus after $500 of spending in the first three months.

Then I received information on the Citi ThankYou card. The offer I got was for the basic ThankYou card--not the preferred ThankYou or the Premier or the Prestige. I can't find any reviews on the "basic" ThankYou card so I am confused on that, firstly. 

Secondly, I am trying to compare these cards. From online reviews, it seems like the ThankYou card is more prestigious, but the Dividend Platinum Select card is 1% cash back on all purchases. This is compared to points for the Thank you card, which gives you 1 point per dollar spent, and you need 2500 points to get a $15 gift certificate. If you spent $2,500 on the Divident Platinum Select card, that would get you $25. So the Platinum Select Dividend seems better, but everything online seems to suggest the TY card is better.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi ThankYou vs. Platinum Select Dividend

Citi Dividend Platinum Select is for college student, while Citi Dividend is for other people.

Also Citi Dividend Platinum Select offers 5% cashback for 6 months on gas, grocery, and utility bill. Not sure where you get 2% cashback for 1st year offer from.

Citi Dividend on the other hand, offers $100 cashback for the first $500 spent within 3 months.

TY card sucks in reward period. Besides Citi Forward and Citi mtvU, other Citi cards that use TY program are sucked when it comes to reward. Cards like Citi Premier and Citi Prestige is used for travel benefits, while cards like AT&T Universal Savings is used for 5% discount at AT&T. If you plan to use them for rewards, they are inferior to plain 1% cashback card.

Citi pulled EX for me twice, not EQ. And scores only play a smart part in their credit decision. Now days lenders look at your reports manually.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are the terms on the letter they sent me--2% cash back the first year, 5% on air, hotel and rental purchases in the first 3 months, $100 cash back after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

I have done much research on these cards, and haven't seen anything about the Dividend Platinum Select being for college students. I'm not a college student. I'm leaning toward the Dividend Platinum Select because it is straight cash back. Points seem confusing and the redemption comes out to less than 1% unless you are buying gift cards from chain retailers. And I hate shopping at chains.

But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything big on this ThankYou rewards program.

Message 3 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-dividend-platinum-select-visa-card-for-college-studen...

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-dividend-card/

1 TY point = 0.5 to 0.8 cents depending on what rewards you are redeeming.

Nothing big from TY program I assure you. The reason I have Citi Forward is because I shop at Amazon a lot, and that'll give me 3.2% return per dollar spent. Otherwise my Dividend card is my main card.

Message 4 of 7
BluMoon
New Contributor

The Citi Dividend Platinum Select card previously offered a year at 2% on everything.  Since that offer is no longer public, they could have mailed out special offers to select individuals.  The current offer is $100.00 cash back for spending 500.00 in three months, like you mentioned.  They offer 1% on everything with a quarterly revolving 5% on select categories.  In addition, the Citi Dividend Platinum Select card is no longer publicly offered any longer.  It is now the Citi Dividend World Mastercard - a World Mastercard is the equivalent of the Visa Signature card.  Don't confuse this card with the Citi Platinum Select Mastercard, which is not a rewards card.  The word "Dividend" made all the difference.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it was confusing. I got the Dividend World Mastercard after all. They gave me a CL near $10,000, which was nice. That will help my debt to available credit ratio which hopefully will offset the lower AAoA I will have with this new card (which was previously 9+ years).

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it was confusing. I got the Dividend World Mastercard after all. They gave me a CL near $10,000, which was nice. That will help my debt to available credit ratio which hopefully will offset the lower AAoA I will have with this new card (which was previously 9+ years).

Hi Erin,

Have you run the numbers to see if the new account will actually hurt your AAoA? Since AAoA is rounded down for scoring as long as your AAoA stayed anywhere above 9 years (9.1-9.9 years) you'll be in good shape.

Just a thought.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.