Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thankyou Preferred Visa to Mastercard world/WEMC questions

tag
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Citi Thankyou Preferred Visa to Mastercard world/WEMC questions

I have had a Citi Thankyou Preferred Visa for more than a year, and i've been trying to request CITI to change my Thankyou Visa product to Mastercard world or WEMC (if possible)  and everytime i call to the regular customer service they tell me that there's no way i can do that... They don't offer this kind of product for the Thankyou preferred card and i'd need to apply for a new card. The funny thing is Citi don't actually offer apps for the Thankyou preferred Mastercard and besides i'm not willing to apply for new credit at this point

I've been doing some research on this forum about this conversion and some ppl actually have been successful about this....I just don't know where to call. I just tried the regular costumer service, the Credit department, The Retencion Department (nobody picked up the phone when calling this number)

I just wanted the Citi Thank you Preferred Mastercard because i have so many visa cards and no mastercards at all. I don't wanna do product change i like this product but CITI is making it hard to convert my visa thankyou into a Mastercard

So here's the questions :

What are the requirements to convert my card visa into a Mastercard?

Do i need to wait more than a year for this?

Do i lose my thankyou points if i change my Visa Thankyou card to Mastercard Thankyou preferred

Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail to contact the right ppl at Citi about this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Thankyou Preferred Visa to Mastercard world/WEMC questions

@mnavas wrote:

I have had a Citi Thankyou Preferred Visa for more than a year, and i've been trying to request CITI to change my Thankyou Visa product to Mastercard world or WEMC (if possible)  and everytime i call to the regular customer service they tell me that there's no way i can do that... They don't offer this kind of product for the Thankyou preferred card and i'd need to apply for a new card. The funny thing is Citi don't actually offer apps for the Thankyou preferred Mastercard and besides i'm not willing to apply for new credit at this point

I've been doing some research on this forum about this conversion and some ppl actually have been successful about this....I just don't know where to call. I just tried the regular costumer service, the Credit department, The Retencion Department (nobody picked up the phone when calling this number)

I just wanted the Citi Thank you Preferred Mastercard because i have so many visa cards and no mastercards at all. I don't wanna do product change i like this product but CITI is making it hard to convert my visa thankyou into a Mastercard

So here's the questions :

What are the requirements to convert my card visa into a Mastercard? 13 months, or when the promo has ended, whichever date is later. 

Do i need to wait more than a year for this? Yes. You may have to wait up to 15-18months if your promo period is longer as well.

Do i lose my thankyou points if i change my Visa Thankyou card to Mastercard Thankyou preferred. No, I don't think so. But don't be too surprised if it happens, especially if this is your only TY points earning account. Citi's systems can be buggy at times.

Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail to contact the right ppl at Citi about this? Try calling EO and retention. 

Citi does offer apps for the Thank You Preferred Mastercard. You can either apply in branch, call in, or look for the "special" links on the internet. However, there's no guarantee what kind of MC you are getting. Most likely it's going to be a WMC though.

When I was approved last year, I called EO to ask what kind of MC I was approved for, since none of the CSRs were able to tell me, but didn't ask them to upgrade me. Then the card arrived as a WMC, and after a couple weeks, a replacement card arrived and it was a WEMC. Not sure if it has anything to do with their EO, or maybe Citi just upgraded me for some other reason.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 4
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Same deal for me, I ended up having to go through EO to get my pc to thankyou premier WEMC.  As long as you stay in the same product rewards group you shoud be able to keep your thankyou rewards.  As enharu said, if you are still in a promo period for your existing card, you must wait until that promo...in my case a 0% 18 month promo...to end.  Piece of cake although even the EO didn't know if it would be WEMC but it was when it arrived.  Good luck. 

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 3 of 4
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Thank you guys for your answers.

I ended up calling back the regular customer service again (this is my fifth try) and got the right CSR who told me i was elegible to do the conversion. He told me my new Citi Thankyou preferred card Mastercard should arrive in 7 to 10 business day. The new account is already showing up on my online profile and ready for activation..i kind of wonder if i still can use my old Citi Thankyou Visa.

I also asked him what kind of mastercard i got and i think he didn't know what i was talking about because he only said it's a Thankyou Preferred Mastercard

I kind of wanted to get a World Mastercard or even better a World Elite. The WE looks great!!! i'd love to get that one 

anyway,Assuming that i get the standard Mastercard,  i have these questions:

is it possible to request a World Mastercard or World Elite in a later time?

What are the requirements for the world Elite?

How long do i need to wait to ask for an upgrade?

Where do i need to call or e-mail to request this change?

Thanks for your help in advance Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.