Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Transfers CL of closed card to existing one

tag
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Citi Transfers CL of closed card to existing one

I didn't know Citi did this, but here goes. 

I have had the Citi Platinum AAdvantage for years. I fly AA as one of my airlines of choice and feel that with one R/T for 2 people with checked luggage, it negates the AF ($99) on that card. 

last year I got the AA Executive card for the lounge access. Due to my travels I also have the Amex Platinum, but the lines to get in with a connecting flight sometimes impossible. So I applied separately for the AA Exec last year. Completed the SUB and have used it often for accesss which while not as good as the Centurion lounge, it's still better than waiting at the gate. 

so with the AF coming up on the Platinum AA, I called to cancel the card. I had no clue that if your payment history is good that Citi will move that credit limit over to the card you wish. I know a lot of issuers don't do this anymore and with Citi being at times weird, I didn't think they would. But they offered. Sent a text message and asked me to accept it and that was that. 

JR
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Transfers CL of closed card to existing one

Thank you very much for posting this.  Citi reallocation at closing has been all over the place.  Up until a few years ago, they would do so - however it would almost always result in a HP as they considered it applying for a credit line increase on one card before closing the other one.  Then in 2020, it seemed there were a number of reports that people were being able to do so without the inquiry.  When I called in January 2021 to close my Premier card, the CSR could not move my credit line over to my Rewards+ card.  I politely asked to speak with a supervisor, and he stated that they had actually just received memos that they were no longer able to move available credit between cards.  (I closed the card anyway, as even though Citi has the best PC availability for most cards, there was nothing past or present that interested me.)  This is the first time I have heard in 17 months of it being permitted again.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.