Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi and CLI Waiting Game..

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Citi and CLI Waiting Game..

So, I am beginning to realize that getting a CLI on my Citi card is going to be a LONG time from now...here is the back story....

Citi Secured opened Sept 2009 with 200 CL

Ch 7 BK discharged Sept 2009

Card unsecured 18 months later, but no CLI when unsecured

Used the Citi card from Sept 2009 through today, never late, never returned pmt, never over CL and life time spending on the card is 14, 500 with no single charge over 200 (CL)

My EX (which they always pull) is about 615 through creditexpert, but for all I know could be higher

I get declined for every single CLI because of my BK

So, I am assuming the only way I will get one is just to wait and let my score go up??  Right??  

I am assuming once it hits a threshold I will start getting increases, but I am not there yet

Sugestions?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi and CLI Waiting Game..

@Andy77 wrote:

So, I am beginning to realize that getting a CLI on my Citi card is going to be a LONG time from now...here is the back story....

Used the Citi card from Sept 2009 through today, never late, never returned pmt, never over CL and life time spending on the card is 14, 500 with no single charge over 200 (CL)

My EX (which they always pull) is about 615 through creditexpert, but for all I know could be higher

So, I am assuming the only way I will get one is just to wait and let my score go up??  Right??  

I am assuming once it hits a threshold I will start getting increases, but I am not there yet

Sugestions?

That and getting some positvie post-BK history. Is Citi the only CC you have?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
cmerriott
Valued Member

Citi will not give cli with ANY negatives reporting. There is a thread somewhere that a rep actually told someone that. So u have to wait until the bk falls off. I had a collection and couldn't get a cli either, but once it fell of I got a cli on both my citi cards.

Myfico EQ 1/12/13 759

Barclays $6,300, NAVY FCU $25,000, CITI dividend $4,500, AMEX HH $16,800, AMEX BCP $6,000, BofA 123 $9,900, CAP ONE VENTURE $7,500, CITI forward $3,000, DISCOVER IT $10,000, GECRB/LOW $10,000, GECRB/SAMSDC $10,000, SPIEGEL $1,150, WFNNB/BUCKLE $1,100
Message 3 of 10
Andy77
Valued Contributor

I am not sure what you are saying is accurate.

People here have gotten an actual Citi card with the BK on their credit report at the 8 yr mark.  There are threads on here confirming this.

Yes, I have other accounts that I have opened and paid on time since 2009

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

Sugestions?

Im with other poster, Is this Citi your only Credit Card?

What baddies are on your report from BK and anything since Sept 2009 that is negative?

I'm not understand 3 years after BK why you are only a 620 and it's not even a Fico? Why don't you pull your TU and EQ here on this website and post back what's on that report and those 2 scores.... Rebuilding is expensive! but if you want to do it right and get the most help, getting Fico reports and score at least every 6 months to year will really help.

Message 5 of 10
Andy77
Valued Contributor

No I have the following cards

orchard bank 1000 cl bal 250 paid on time opened 1.5 yrs ago

cap one 750 cl bal 250 opened 1 yr ago

cap one 850 bal 350 opened 1 yr ago

azuma leasing opened 2007 never late fixed pmt 35 month

bank of america secured card opened 10 months ago CL 500 bal 400

barclays opened 11 months ago bal 1200 CL 3500

I guess what I am SO perplexed about is I have spent 14,000 on my citi card the computer knows this and even with that spending I could not even get an auto cli without my credit report pulled, it really does not make any LOGICAL sense

But I suppose since other people are getting auto cli's I will get one when my score his XXX ..the magic number no one knows.

Message 6 of 10
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I think you can get CLI's (and some decent CC's) with a BK reporting. However, you will NOT get them as quickly or with as high of limits as a person with no BK reporting. My BK recently dropped off, and some cards I never could get with the BK reporting. I was able to get some decent limits (5-10k) but this was when my score was in the 680-710 range, with some age on the cards. I was recently denied a CLI from Citi, for a six month old card for having too many new accounts. 

Stories abound on the boards (if you read closely) of people with much better credit profiles than yours (sorry, just being honest) being denied CLIs and CC's. you seem to be looking for CLI's without properly aging your accounts. It is NOT unusual for Barclays to only give CLI's every 6 months, and it is NOT unusual for them to refuse a second card to a person with another account with them (this is what you wrote about another to thread). It is not unusual for Citi to not grant CLI's immediately unsure recently unsecured account. 

I got AMEX accts while my BK was reporting, and although they gave me the cards, I was denied CLI's 3 times, du. To the BK being on my record. I just waited them out. 

Chill out, you are trying to do too much too fast, which clearly is a red flag, as your BK is not all that old, and your score has not rebounded sufficiently. You are on the cusp of exhibiting "credit seeking behavior" which apparently your CC issuers do not like. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 7 of 10
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the insight.  I will just relax and let time do its thing

Message 8 of 10
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Not true! I have a Chapter 7 BK from 2004. I have gotten 4 CITI cards this year. They doubled my CL on one card from $6200 to $12000 after the 6th statement when I requested it. My CH 7 will not fall off till 7/14

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 10
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

A 2004 BK is a long way from a 2009 Bk. apparently there is something Citi is seeing in his file that they don't like. No 2 files are the same, you may have re-established your credit moreso than the OP. I would not encourage him to keep seeking CLI's until he corrects whatever is keeping his score low (620).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.