cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi bestbuy store card converting to Citi VISA...weird reporting on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi bestbuy store card converting to Citi VISA...weird reporting on credit report

So, I had already gotten notice from Citi that my bestbuy store card was being converted to a VISA, which is cool with me.  Allegedly new cards are being mailed in early October.  Now here's the weird part:  got a notice from Wallethub that there was a change in my credit report, and it looks like the existing bestbuy card has been removed altogether, replaced with a Citi VISA account that opened in 2008?!?

Is that Citi's normal way of reporting an upgrade from store card to general-use card?

And before anyone heckles me for watching Wallethub, I know it's a FAKO score and I studiously ignore it but I get timely alerts about changes so I can keep an eye out for anything weird.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi bestbuy store card converting to Citi VISA...weird reporting on credit report

You can also confirm via digital or hard copies of your CRs, but any conversion or upgrade with Citi will retain the original opening date.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi bestbuy store card converting to Citi VISA...weird reporting on credit report

The date is correct, when it rolled from HSBC to Citi in 2008., but it seems odd to me that it isn't flagged to reflect that it USED to be a bestbuy store card and now it's a CBNA credit card.  Surely the account number will change, will it not?

Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You say Fako i say Fico, you say visa i say congratsSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

All it did was backdate when your account was opened and yes most likely you will be assigned a new Visa card number along with a card that has the Visa logo. Congrats on the upgrade!
Message 5 of 13
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

I'd say having a Best Buy card worked out for you in the end, can't complain about a conversion to a Visa Smiley Happy. Nice!

Message 6 of 13
GFer
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the conversion!  I wish mine would!  Family members have had theirs converted.  I guess BB forgot about me!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I had already gotten notice from Citi that my bestbuy store card was being converted to a VISA, which is cool with me.  Allegedly new cards are being mailed in early October.  Now here's the weird part:  got a notice from Wallethub that there was a change in my credit report, and it looks like the existing bestbuy card has been removed altogether, replaced with a Citi VISA account that opened in 2008?!?

Is that Citi's normal way of reporting an upgrade from store card to general-use card?

And before anyone heckles me for watching Wallethub, I know it's a FAKO score and I studiously ignore it but I get timely alerts about changes so I can keep an eye out for anything weird.

What was the balance on your account at the time of conversion and your limit? Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The balance was zero when we got notified of the change/upgrade, but I bought a couple of TVs for the new house since, so it's around $1500 on a $4800 limit.

Message 9 of 13
SBR249
Established Contributor

A tradeline isn't really linked to a particular card number or account number. Or else there would have to be changes reported every time someone loses a card and needs to get a new one issued with different numbers. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.