Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi cancelled my accounts

tag
purebulldogs
Contributor

Citi cancelled my accounts

It's no loss for me since it was a very low limit card, just the one card. The weird part, I had a citi savings account with 10k in it and they mailed a check to me and closed that also. 

my scores have increased and all 3 are in the 770s, clean and not much debt at all. 

I could see purging some low limit cards that aren't used heavily but the savings account made no sense 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi cancelled my accounts

Sounds like Citi wanted to exit the relationship altogether for whatever internal reasons.

Typically, most financial institutions don't normally close both lending + deposit/investment accounts or the entire relationship unless there was a pressing [AA] reason for them to do so. 

On the upside, it appears you're taking it well (or as best as can be expected). Plenty of other institutions out there.

Message 2 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

It's no loss for me since it was a very low limit card, just the one card. The weird part, I had a citi savings account with 10k in it and they mailed a check to me and closed that also. 

my scores have increased and all 3 are in the 770s, clean and not much debt at all. 

I could see purging some low limit cards that aren't used heavily but the savings account made no sense 

That is weird indeed.

That once happened to me, with Capital One, but I didn't have $10,000 on deposit; probably it was more like $17.00 Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 22
jamesteroh

You aren't the only one it happened to.   I posted a thread this morning about it happening with me and I gave Citi a lot of business with my credit card that I never carried a balance on and they closed that account along with a savings and checking account that had almost $100K in it with no notice and the only reason they gave me was they were chosing not to do business with me anymore.   Iritates me I forfeited almost $2k in rewards on the card (my fault for not cashing out every month) and I'm not even sure if they gave me the accured interest on the savings account balance.

What really ticks me off though is I had a commercial checking and savings account (has it own Tax ID number but they have my SSN for being a signer on the account and an owner of the company) that I decided to close and they are giving me a hassle over it.   I waited until all the checks had cleared and wrote a check for the balance into our PNC account and when it cleared called to cancel the account and they didn't find the excuse that I am chosing not to business with them any longer acceptable and our RM called and had the nerve to ask me if I could elaborate more.    I guess they expect their customers to show them more courtesy when they close an account than when they close an account on a customer.

Message 4 of 22
purebulldogs
Contributor

@jamesteroh wrote:

You aren't the only one it happened to.   I posted a thread this morning about it happening with me and I gave Citi a lot of business with my credit card that I never carried a balance on and they closed that account along with a savings and checking account that had almost $100K in it with no notice and the only reason they gave me was they were chosing not to do business with me anymore.   Iritates me I forfeited almost $2k in rewards on the card (my fault for not cashing out every month) and I'm not even sure if they gave me the accured interest on the savings account balance.

What really ticks me off though is I had a commercial checking and savings account (has it own Tax ID number but they have my SSN for being a signer on the account and an owner of the company) that I decided to close and they are giving me a hassle over it.   I waited until all the checks had cleared and wrote a check for the balance into our PNC account and when it cleared called to cancel the account and they didn't find the excuse that I am chosing not to business with them any longer acceptable and our RM called and had the nerve to ask me if I could elaborate more.    I guess they expect their customers to show them more courtesy when they close an account than when they close an account on a customer.

Wow. It's crazy how citi can be at times. It doesn't make much sense that's for sure.

Message 5 of 22
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

For me, I don't have checking/savings account with credit card companies unless it was free. 

Message 6 of 22
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

Wow. It's crazy how citi can be at times. It doesn't make much sense that's for sure.

His accounts were closed due to (by his own admission) running business expenses through personal cards  up to the limit and making multiple payments each month to milk the cash back rewards which most if not all banks frown upon.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 22
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Were you using the card? 

Message 8 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@purebulldogsSorry it happened. Sounded familar. Take your business elsewhere where you'll be treated better. Its just a name. Check this posters closing last year. Yikes!

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Closed-My-account-with-no-reason-listed-in-the-Le... 

Message 9 of 22
purebulldogs
Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@purebulldogsSorry it happened. Sounded familar. Take your business elsewhere where you'll be treated better. Its just a name. Check this posters closing last year. Yikes!

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Closed-My-account-with-no-reason-listed-in-the-Le... 

They were probably my least favorite issuer I've ever had so I won't miss them. 

Every other card and account I have is doing well. Synchrony actually gave me a credit limit increase the other day. It wasn't huge but definitely in the right direction 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.