Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi card PC success w/ late payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi card PC success w/ late payments

Hello! This is my first post here after lurking for half a year! I'm currently in a rebuilding phase with fair credit, 670's range. I wanted to share my success converting a Citi Preferred Thank You card to a Double Cash back card.

I have a 60 day late payment from August of last year with Citi that has been holding me back credit wise but I called today to ask for a conversion because I really wanted the Double Cash back card. I always use my QS1 card over my Preferred thank you card for the cash back reward.

The rep initially told me that I wasn't eligible because I still had a penalty APR of 29.99% because of the late payment from last year. I asked was there anything she can do, so she put me on hold. After returning, she said there was nothing she can do. Next sentence she mentioned my 8 year history with Citi and hope that in time they can do it. I quickly threw in that I wish I could use my Citi card more since I use my Capital One card a lot because of better rewards but I want to stay loyal to Citi. She put me on hold again, escalated my call to a senior rep who was able to remove the penalty APR and do a card conversion!

Hopefully this helps someone was is in a similar situation as me.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
WowCool
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi card PC success w/ late payments

Sweet..... congratulations! Well played..... bravo!!

Message 2 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Good for you, OP. Nice strategy.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 7
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your PC!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats !!!

Message 5 of 7
zerofire
Valued Contributor

That is one way to sweat talk a CS. You got an APR reduction and an authorization to product change, nice. Now normally a product change would be allowed anyway but I guess the penalty APR is the thing that makes a mess for the computer and that was why it balked at first. Be aware that any rewards you had stored are forfeit in a PC unless there is a compatible reward structure(there isn't) on the new card and it is allowed to carry over.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep you are right, I've carried that penalty APR for over a year, I don't really know Citi rules for how long you will have a penalty APR. About the rewards, Citi give you 60 days to redeem the points on the Preferred Thank You card before they expire. I got myself a Target gift card since I had no use for the other rewards, although the closest Target is 28 miles away...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.