cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi changes my due date - anyone else notice this?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi changes my due date - anyone else notice this?

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I check the payment due date on the Citi website early every billing cycle as I prepare a spreadsheet, which I refer to all month as I schedule my bill pays.  About every other month or so, the date they were showing at the beginning of the billing cycle has changed by the time I go online again to make the payment. On July 13, it said my due date was Aug 6, today I go to make the payment and it says Aug 4!! This is not the first month this has happened. I'm just glad I leave myself a few days of wiggle room.

No CC I have ever had changed the due date within a billing period like this. If OP can record screen shots exemplifying this he should make a huge deal about it. If documentable I would consider this serious scamming.

+1

Many CCCs have statement dates and/or due dates that vary by 2-3 days month-to-month, but once the statement closes, and the new upcoming due date is posted on the website, it should never change. That is indefensible.

I have never seen it happen on any of my accounts, although it sounds like the kind of thing the old evil try-everything-in-the-book-to-trap-customers Providian might have done ...

It sure does. And they paid through the nose for their transgressions. (About $600 million I think.)

Message 11 of 25
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
My Citi DP has different cut dates each month and the grace period is all over the place. This month will be 23 days last month was 26. I would be careful with the paperless billing. As of last month no PDF download is available. I went back to paper statements.

I still have PDF downloads for my DP statements. (Including the most recent statement.)
Message 12 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

nrgmagic wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything a customer can do?

Actually I had this happen 2-3 times over the past couple of years, that I know of. DW also has a Platinum Select and I also enter everything into a spreadsheet tracking of all things, due dates. Yes, they fluctuate depending on the billing cycle, but I've noticed a couple of times where they have posted one due date and within a week or two completely change the due date by a couple days at the least. I check every CC at least once a week and caught Citi doing that.

Message 13 of 25
smallfry
Senior Contributor

As of my July 3rd statement the only options were Quicken download or some delimiter nonsense. The older statements I can still view as PDF but not the newest one.
Message 14 of 25
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything a customer can do?

Actually I had this happen 2-3 times over the past couple of years, that I know of. DW also has a Platinum Select and I also enter everything into a spreadsheet tracking of all things, due dates. Yes, they fluctuate depending on the billing cycle, but I've noticed a couple of times where they have posted one due date and within a week or two completely change the due date by a couple days at the least. I check every CC at least once a week and caught Citi doing that.

One of the violations Providian committed and was severely sanctioned for was the systematic past posting of payments. I don't see much difference between that practice and arbitrarily moving the due date back once the statement has been issued. If I could document such a change I would give them one shot at explaining it and then I would file a complaint with the OCC. What a reprehensible practice.
Message 15 of 25
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
As of my July 3rd statement the only options were Quicken download or some delimiter nonsense. The older statements I can still view as PDF but not the newest one.

My 15JUL statement is available as a PDF. Weird!
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as Citi's explaination, they claim it's because each billing cycle is a different length of time, some months - 29 days, some months - 32 days, etc. Ok, fine, but I'm sure they do not make that decision each month, as is happens. The calendar is pretty much set, last time I checked. If they wanted to, they could schedule due dates to the end of time and there would be no reason to change them.

From now on, I will make it my job to document each and every month the due date at the beginning of the billing cycle and again when I make my payment. They're already caught, now I just have to prove it.

FYI, I heard of this practice in the mainstream media as the credit crisis exploded last fall. Problem is, I seem to recall it was legal. Anyone know the law on this?

Message 17 of 25
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as Citi's explaination, they claim it's because each billing cycle is a different length of time, some months - 29 days, some months - 32 days, etc. Ok, fine, but I'm sure they do not make that decision each month, as is happens. The calendar is pretty much set, last time I checked. If they wanted to, they could schedule due dates to the end of time and there would be no reason to change them.

From now on, I will make it my job to document each and every month the due date at the beginning of the billing cycle and again when I make my payment. They're already caught, now I just have to prove it.

FYI, I heard of this practice in the mainstream media as the credit crisis exploded last fall. Problem is, I seem to recall it was legal. Anyone know the law on this?

It is a deceptive (trans: fraudulent) business practice. How could it be legal? It is just as "legal" as Providian laying 1000's of checks aside and processing them a week later. They considered that to be "legal" and it ended up costing them hundreds of millions of dollars. Too bad Joe Average never saw more that crumbs.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

what's the big deal as long looking at your statements , bue dates don't change mid cycle, it's only the people that iignore their statments that have problems with it
Message 19 of 25
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
what's the big deal as long looking at your statements , bue dates don't change mid cycle, it's only the people that iignore their statments that have problems with it

How many people have specifically stated in this thread that their due date was changed after the statement was cut? Three, Four?? That's good enough to make a believer outta me!

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.