Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi closed all my credit cards

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi closed all my credit cards

@Remedios wrote:

I've closed accounts that had balances and loss of limits on those cards should have impacted my utilization but it did not happen, limits were still included in aggregate and individual utilization calculations. 

However, I have seen examples where limits were not included in calculations, even though card was not closed as a result of AA, and it caused temporary scoring change untill they were paid.  

So I'd say it's safe to say that what happens depends on how lender continues to report, so for those without extra utilization padding, it's probably prudent to pay accounts off prior to closing, or if result of AA, as soon as possible. 

Years ago, I had a card close due to inactivity. When they closed it, they also lowered its previously-large CL to $300--which wreaked havoc with my overall utilization. Smiley Mad

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 21 of 28
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I've closed accounts that had balances and loss of limits on those cards should have impacted my utilization but it did not happen, limits were still included in aggregate and individual utilization calculations. 

However, I have seen examples where limits were not included in calculations, even though card was not closed as a result of AA, and it caused temporary scoring change untill they were paid.  

So I'd say it's safe to say that what happens depends on how lender continues to report, so for those without extra utilization padding, it's probably prudent to pay accounts off prior to closing, or if result of AA, as soon as possible. 

Years ago, I had a card close due to inactivity. When they closed it, they also lowered its previously-large CL to $300--which wreaked havoc with my overall utilization. Smiley Mad

And this is why utilization "padding" is not the best long term solution, especially if the closure of a single, unused card wrecks havoc on your profile. 

Message 22 of 28
jcooks
Established Contributor

Wonder if any CSR will tell you the reason why.

Message 23 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

Wonder if any CSR will tell you the reason why.

I think CSRs don't have access (or at least will say that!)   Understandably, they wouldn't want to be involved in such discussions.   For some types of shutdown (fraud, rewards abuse,  stuff flowing from another internal org such as banking) a security department is involved and no-one but them has access.

Message 24 of 28
RSX
Valued Contributor

it sounds like the OP was ontrack to pay these 3 off this month anyway - i would highly suggest you continue with that plan - put Citi in your rearview mirror

i know when the Sync issue happened to me, i had 1 acct with a balance

i didnt wait to see how the CRAs/Sync would report it - i paid it off ASAP

turns out that others reported that it DID show their CL and the balance - so it didnt hurt them on Util

but i would rather not have a closed acct with a balance if i could possibly avoid it

sorry to hear about the closures

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 25 of 28
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

And this is why utilization "padding" is not the best long term solution, especially if the closure of a single, unused card wrecks havoc on your profile. 

It wreaked havoc because--years ago, when this happened--I didn't have nearly as much total credit as I do now. Today? With so many more cards, and a 6-figure TCL, even an abruptly closed 5-figure card would barely make me blink. (I'd be mad as hell, but I wouldn't blink! Smiley Very Happy)

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 26 of 28
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AAdvantage $2000 limit: balance $1000~

Simplicity $1980 limit: balance $300

Diamond preferred $900 limit: balance $90~

OP:

I'm also a little confused by the "10% Utility"  but the $1000 balance on a $2000 limit. 

Please keep us updated, as it sucks for any unexpected closures.

Message 27 of 28
805orbust
Valued Contributor

+1 with @NoMoreE46. I don't know where you're at as far as the stages of credit-building, but the "multiple cards with low limits" thing is always a red flag for me. It usually means that they're taking a wait and see approach to your profile. Maybe that spooked them. Not even Synchrony is loosey-goosey anymore. The garden is our friend. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.