Citi closed my cards without refunding the AF

tag
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

Citi closed my cards without refunding the AF

Hello everyone!

So basically I got an email today from Citi:

"Hi, ****.

We frequently review cardmember credit reports, a recent review of yours shows you have too many open revolving credit accounts.

Due to this, we've had to close the following account(s):

(Citi TYP number)

(AAdvantage Platinum Select number)"

I kinda don't use the cards much and I was planning on closing the TYP either way. However, I got the AAdvantage card in February 2020 and I paid the annual fee for it (AF wasn't waived). I called asking for a refund for the AF since I didn't request the card closure and they said that they can't do that since it's not within 30 days of paying the AF. 

My question is: is it even legal that Citi can close my cards and not refund my AF? I feel like I just got scammed by Citi. My credit reports are clean and my FICO scores are 700+

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi closed my cards without refunding the AF

If it has been more than 60 days you will get a prorated refund.  Citi CSRs are notorious for being misinformed that no annual fee refunds are given after 30 or 60 days.

Message 2 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully you were able to get the welcome offer on the AA card...if so that takes some of the sting out.

Message 3 of 11
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If it has been more than 60 days you will get a prorated refund.  Citi CSRs are notorious for being misinformed that no annual fee refunds are given after 30 or 60 days.

I spoke to two people and both said no. I guess I'll have to call again

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Message 4 of 11
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Hopefully you were able to get the welcome offer on the AA card...if so that takes some of the sting out.

I got 60k points with the special welcome bonus Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MrCreditInternational wrote:
@K-in-Boston wrote:

Calling again will very likely result in the CSR telling you that they do not refund annual fees after 30 or 60 days.  It's one of those cases where HUCA will likely not help, but several authoritative sites report that prorated refunds are given by Citi for mid-year closures despite Citi CSRs saying otherwise.  Maybe the confusion is because the CSR can't process the refund for you themselves?

Message 6 of 11
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Calling again will very likely result in the CSR telling you that they do not refund annual fees after 30 or 60 days.  It's one of those cases where HUCA will likely not help, but several authoritative sites report that prorated refunds are given by Citi for mid-year closures despite Citi CSRs saying otherwise.  Maybe the confusion is because the CSR can't process the refund for you themselves?

They repeated that they can't refund me. The CSR transferred me to a manager who transferred me to someone who transferred me back to a CSR who repeated that they can't refund me.

Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 11
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone!

"Hi, ****.

We frequently review cardmember credit reports, a recent review of yours shows you have too many open revolving credit accounts.

Never heard of this excuse to close accounts before but we're in unchartered territory.

I count 12 revolving accounts in your signature plus 4 charge cards - I doubt they're differentiating.

Plus the two Citi cards for 18 total.  Are there more you aren't listing?

Should we expect to see Citi start closing accounts for customers that have more than X cards?

You'd think they could have just CLD'd them instead of outright closing based on their excuse

if they were concerned about exposure.

Message 8 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

They repeated that they can't refund me. The CSR transferred me to a manager who transferred me to someone who transferred me back to a CSR who repeated that they can't refund me.

Any suggestions?

Wait for the automatic refund once it processes through Citi's system rather than calling Citi and being given the expected answer?  Like I said, calling again will almost certainly result in them telling you that they don't refund AFs after 30/60 days. Loads of DPs of people receiving prorated refunds on the Internet after being told Citi doesn't do refunds.  So far, no DPs of anyone not being told that Citi doesn't do refunds.

Message 9 of 11
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@CJ7 wrote:

Hello everyone!

"Hi, ****.

Never heard of this excuse to close accounts before but we're in unchartered territory.

I count 12 revolving accounts in your signature plus 4 charge cards - I doubt they're differentiating.

Plus the two Citi cards for 18 total.  Are there more you aren't listing?

Should we expect to see Citi start closing accounts for customers that have more than X cards?

You'd think they could have just CLD'd them instead of outright closing based on their excuse

if they were concerned about exposure.

Those are all my open cards. They didn't decrease my limits because they're probably too low to start with.

FYI: They closed my macy's card as well few days ago :/

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.