Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi customer support vs Amex customer support

tag
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi customer support vs Amex customer support

I no longer have Citi. Partly because of service. However, choose card that fits most. Lenders are currently in race to offer best service and rewards.

Alerts are pretty much standard across the board. Barclays could use some help with this. AMEX proved their service to me. They broke accessibility on alert system 2 yrs ago. Making it impossible for blind consumers to use. I contacted the CEO on a Saturday. Fixed by Tuesday, with a gift basket and $100 gift card delivered on Monday. That’s service!

Message 11 of 40
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Haven't been using alerts much, but have some personal experiences with CSRs:

Citi CSR is hard to get to (they may or may not allow you to send any online message) so you need to call. If you call you might have to spend 10min fighting their automated system then another 20min answering questions ranging from SSN to where did you get your lunch 6 weeks ago before getting to anyone remotely useful (be prepared for more pop-up quizs about every fine detail of your life every 1 or 2 minutes while talking to that person).

AMEX has an online chat where you can usually get to chat with someone or a fraction of the attention of someone in a min or two and they have resolved 70 or 80% of my issues. If chat didn't work you can call them and you do get to speak with a real person in a min or so as well.

That is what I found when talking to them to get information on the cards.   I got right through with Amex, but Citi I had to go through that awful automated system, and Amex answered my questions one by one, while it took 2 calls to Citi to get someone to answer without running my information to get the best offer - Once I decide on the card, I would be glad to hear the offers Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 40
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I no longer have Citi. Partly because of service. However, choose card that fits most. Lenders are currently in race to offer best service and rewards.

Alerts are pretty much standard across the board. Barclays could use some help with this. AMEX proved their service to me. They broke accessibility on alert system 2 yrs ago. Making it impossible for blind consumers to use. I contacted the CEO on a Saturday. Fixed by Tuesday, with a gift basket and $100 gift card delivered on Monday. That’s service!

That is service especially in this day and age where wesite issues tend to take weeks to get fixed.  The bean card always been alert delinquent.  At least when it was with Barclays, I would get a notice when a charge posted, but not when the charge happened and I could see a pending charge, until it was about to post, then it disappeared for a day until it posted.  Now that it is with Citi, no alerts available for charges, and there is no way to see charges until they actually post.  So much for trying to catch issues and fraud early

Message 13 of 40
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Where do you buy most of your groceries? For the AMEX, it matters. Not all the places you go to get "groceries" code as groceries with AMEX, where they do code Groceries with VISA or MC or Discover when those categories come up.

I shop at Shoprite, which comes up on the Amex site.  I use a debit card now to pay for groceries, but as I am looking at the Cash Back cards, I realize there is no reason not to use the credit card for groceries and earn some money back.  I believe on my Debit card Shoprite comes in as grocery since it always has that selected on the screen under category, but not sure if that is due to the same code.

Message 14 of 40
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I have the LL Bean MasterCard, which was sold to Citi by Barclays.

The card does not show pending transactions, which makes it impossible to send immediate alerts when charges are made.

It also doesn't show rewards earned on each individual transaction. If I make a bunch of gas charges, for instance, and one or more of them earns only 1%, it can be next to impossible to isolate the transaction(s) that didn't earn the 2% reward.

A third issue that you didn't mention is that both the Barclays account and the Citi account are appearing on many (if not all) cardholders' credit reports. The Barclays account is supposed to disppear, but that won't happen unless you dispute it with the credit bureaus. We shouldn't be forced to do that. In the meantime, some of my scores have decreased while others have increased. It's simply not accurate.

I will say that the Citi customer service reps have been great. That doesn't mean that they have the power to accomplish anything. But they understand when what I'm talking about when I explain that their scripted answers don't address the questions I'm asking.

They do have an appropriate scripted answer for the card reporting twice, though, and they'll snail-mail instructions for disputing if you need them.

Message 15 of 40
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Yes, you are correct on the issues you mentioned with the Bean card.  I am really disgusted at this point and would close it, but it is my oldest and only card, so that would be a bad move.

I have to look into disputing the barclays card still being on there.  In my situation it hasn't impacted my score too much at this point.  When I have talked to the Citi customer support, as you said, they understood my questions but most times don't have answers.

Message 16 of 40
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I don't like the customer support at either Amex or Citi.  Chase is a little better, but not much better.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 17 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I don't like the customer support at either Amex or Citi.  Chase is a little better, but not much better.

It's important to keep in mind:

Amex has three tiers of CS: Centurion, Platinum, everyone else Four. See Pooka's post below.

Chase has (I think) three: Executive (Ritz and JPM clients), Sapphire?, everyone else

Citi has (I think) two: One for Prestige (and AA Exec?), one for everyone else

It makes broad comparisons tricky. Much of the praise for Amex and Chase is for their premium tiers.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express has four tiers.

Tier 1: Core Products.
Tier 2: High-Value Cardmembers on Core Products.
Tier 3: Platinum CCPs.
Tier 4: Centurion CCPs & Account Supervisors.
Message 19 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
American Express has four tiers.

Tier 1: Core Products.
Tier 2: High-Value Cardmembers on Core Products.
Tier 3: Platinum CCPs.
Tier 4: Centurion CCPs & Account Supervisors.

I thought Tier 2 was discontinued. Was it always active, or was it restarted more recently?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.