cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi froze card?!

tag

Citi froze card?!

Now I've worked for a credit card company call center, but I thought it was only for that companies card, that they did this.

When a larger than normal payment is made, I'm not sure what the amount you have to pass is, but I just paid

$1500 on my Citi Simplicity last Tuesday and I haven't been able to use it since.

I've called twice to find out why and the only answer I've gotten was:

"Since you made a large payment, we have to make sure the funds clear and that's why you can't use your card until this next Tuesday."

So, I'm wanting to check out a balance transfer offer on the card, but I can't view it online or talk to someone over the phone since

my account is what I consider froze. Is this a normal practice?

No one at Citi could tell me what is considered a larger than normal payment is. But a whole week of not being able to view anything

online regarding my account or to see my balance updated is kind of upsetting.

I will never make a large payment again.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Citi froze card?!

@heytherehitherehothere wrote:

Now I've worked for a credit card company call center, but I thought it was only for that companies card, that they did this.

When a larger than normal payment is made, I'm not sure what the amount you have to pass is, but I just paid

$1500 on my Citi Simplicity last Tuesday and I haven't been able to use it since.

I've called twice to find out why and the only answer I've gotten was:

"Since you made a large payment, we have to make sure the funds clear and that's why you can't use your card until this next Tuesday."

So, I'm wanting to check out a balance transfer offer on the card, but I can't view it online or talk to someone over the phone since

my account is what I consider froze. Is this a normal practice?

No one at Citi could tell me what is considered a larger than normal payment is. But a whole week of not being able to view anything

online regarding my account or to see my balance updated is kind of upsetting.

I will never make a large payment again.

This is not the first post of this sort that I have read, and for the life of me I can't understand why a ccc would be offended by a large payment. Smiley Indifferent It baffles me. I want to say the other posts of this sort were also Citi, but I'm only 95% on that. Each time I've considered apping with them, my better judgement says no. I'm glad about that. Smiley Tongue

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 14
mxp114
Valued Contributor

It's a risk factor, especially if you have no history of making large payments. Most lenders release your available line by the next business day, often before they can verify you actually have the funds. What happens if someone makes a fake payment that bounces but then utilizes the available credit? If you make an unusually high payment, expect it to be on hold until the funds are confirmed. However seems odd your entire acct is frozen, usually they just don't make the CL available is about it.

Message 3 of 14
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

When I first got my Discover card they did this when I made a lump payment over 1k. I called and asked if there was any way to clear the payment and she offered to do a conference call with a representative of my bank to confirm the payment. I did and the two ladies talked for about 10 minutes and then the CSR thanked me for my payment and told me my credit limit was available to use again. You could try asking Citi to do a three way call with your bank. Citi held a few of my payments as well when I first got the card. It's really a new customer thing most lenders do until they get to know you. Discover and Citi are now use to it and never hold my payments.

Message 4 of 14
adavis425
Established Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

It's a risk factor, especially if you have no history of making large payments. Most lenders release your available line by the next business day, often before they can verify you actually have the funds. What happens if someone makes a fake payment that bounces but then utilizes the available credit? If you make an unusually high payment, expect it to be on hold until the funds are confirmed. However seems odd your entire acct is frozen, usually they just don't make the CL available is about it.

Exactly. I understand freezing that portion of the cl, but not the entire account. Have you tried what the above poster did with the conference call?

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 5 of 14
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Wow, that stinks. I just made two large payments on my citi card last month. One of 9k, the other 10k and no problems. My payment history had been an average of 1k.
I'm just hoping that they don't CLD me after having a large balance for a while.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

Exactly. I understand freezing that portion of the cl, but not the entire account. Have you tried what the above poster did with the conference call?

Credit card company takes extra steps regarding large payment because it can be either credit card fraud or money laundering.

Thieves can push large amount of money (either their for money laundering or someone else for credit card fraud) to credit card and use credit card to buy stuff.

Message 7 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Ive had this with most of my cards as I use them heavly and push large and sometimes multiple payments through in any given month.

1. Cap1 did this for my first 3 statements but has since stopped this practice as Ive had the card about 6 months and its an established payment pattern for me without any bounced items.

2. WF did this once early on and has stopped doing it.

3. Got Walmart Discover is September and they do this for every payment.  Just recently, I paid on 10/31 and had a hold until 11/8.

4. Amex hasnt done this at all and has credited account even before payment cleared my bank (most recently - 5.4k payment made on Saturday has already posted to account - even with Vet day holiday and banks being closed.  Payment isnt even showing up as pending on my bank yet).

5. Chase hasnt done this yet of Freedom or Amazon.  Typically funds are credited in day or so.

6. NFCU - havent gotten the card yet Smiley Happy

P.S. mxp114 - I want your card line up!

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14
beb86
Valued Contributor

Cap1 does this too if you make a large payment but yeah I agree with the others that its a risk factor..

Message 9 of 14
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Wow that's terrible.  I just made a $2K payment on my NFCU Cash Rewards card.  I hope they don't do that.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.