cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi has 2 cards with $400+ annual fees?

tag
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi has 2 cards with $400+ annual fees?

@jzon450 wrote:

I thought US bought AA?  Weren't they going through bankrupcy?  

The details are a bit confusing to me. Post merger, the airline will be named AA but it looks like US indeed bought out AA and will retain leadership.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/14/news/companies/us-airways-american-airlines-merger/index.html

Message 21 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enharu wrote:

US Airways card is backed by Barclays.

Those 2 Citi cards mentioned are also World Elite Mastercards. Generally you need to spend A LOT, especially on the prestige, to make it worthwhile.

If you can spend a lot on it, the reward structure can much better than CSP and most cards out there.

read this link: https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/DisplayPage?docId=CompleteDetailsPop&sc=4KMZ12C31000111111W&app=UN...

Basically the Prestige is targetted towards HNW clients or people who can somehow swipe lots of charges on it.

Well, it can be "OK" at least with a lot less spend.  Unlike the Premier, the Prestige allows a once a year international companion ticket, and that alone can make up for the fee.  As others have said, it also has the usual lounge/Global Entry perks, which people value at least in the case of the Amex Platinum.   But yes, if you spend a lot, then the anniversary rewards become quite valuable, as that works on a sliding scale.

What I don't get is the OPs apparent surprise.  Many issuers have high priced cards, which are worth it to some and not to others.

yea i forgot about that. thanks for reminding me Smiley Very Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 28
jzon450

Looks like they are in talks with Citi and Barclays for the new cards so it's anyone's guess - http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-29/us-airways-merger-with-amr-spurs-talks-on-branded-credit...

Message 23 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jzon450 wrote:

Looks like they are in talks with Citi and Barclays for the new cards so it's anyone's guess - http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-29/us-airways-merger-with-amr-spurs-talks-on-branded-credit...

It would be very interesting if they did pursue a multi-bank solution, so then we would have a larger choice of credit cards for the combined carrier, and they would presumably have to compete on sign-up bonuses and earning rates...

Message 24 of 28
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@jzon450 wrote:

Citi actually has two cards with $400+ annual fees?  Does anyone have one or has anyone actually seen one? Saw them listed here (halfway down) - link to article

I'm somewhat shocked that those cards actually exist? I guess AAdvantage World Elite will be going away soon though...

I've never seen them, but I guess they are worthwhile if you travel a lot.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 25 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jzon450 wrote:

It would be very interesting if they did pursue a multi-bank solution, so then we would have a larger choice of credit cards for the combined carrier, and they would presumably have to compete on sign-up bonuses and earning rates...

I would prefer that they didn't go to a multi-bank solution as that will only lead to a faster devaluation of AA miles. Currently the only way to get AA miles is either through Citi, transfers from hotel programs like SPG, a few partners (like FTD for flowers), or by actually flying. Multi-bank solutions will just send AA down the path of Hilton earlier this year.

Most of the big banks has at least 2 cards in the ~$400 AF space, one for their airline with lounge access (Amex Delta Reserve, Citi AA Executive, Chase United Club), and then at least one more that is benefits heavy and targetted towards big spenders/travellers (Citi Prestige, Amex Platinum, etc.). This isn't abnormal at all.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

US Airways card is backed by Barclays.

Those 2 Citi cards mentioned are also World Elite Mastercards. Generally you need to spend A LOT, especially on the prestige, to make it worthwhile.

If you can spend a lot on it, the reward structure can much better than CSP and most cards out there.

read this link: https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/DisplayPage?docId=CompleteDetailsPop&sc=4KMZ12C31000111111W&app=UN...

Basically the Prestige is targetted towards HNW clients or people who can somehow swipe lots of charges on it.

The other quirk with the Prestige is that in addition to charging a lot, you need to have an equivalent in flight miles if you really want to maximize the benefits.

I considered the new Presige when it came out and realized it wasn't worth it for me. Why? Because I'd easily charge 100k+ per year, but I don't fly 100k miles a year. Therefore I'd be leaving value on the table. However if your flying matches your charges, it can be extremely lucrative especially for Citigold and PB clients.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 27 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I would prefer that they didn't go to a multi-bank solution as that will only lead to a faster devaluation of AA miles. Currently the only way to get AA miles is either through Citi, transfers from hotel programs like SPG, a few partners (like FTD for flowers), or by actually flying. Multi-bank solutions will just send AA down the path of Hilton earlier this year.

Most of the big banks has at least 2 cards in the ~$400 AF space, one for their airline with lounge access (Amex Delta Reserve, Citi AA Executive, Chase United Club), and then at least one more that is benefits heavy and targetted towards big spenders/travellers (Citi Prestige, Amex Platinum, etc.). This isn't abnormal at all.

After reading both sides, I think I agree with CS more.

That devaluation really sucked :/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.