cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi launching the Rewards+ card Jan 10th!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi launching a Rewards+ card Jan 10th!

@odd_dog wrote:

The language I am reading is "round up to the nearest 10" not TO 10. To me that means if purchase is 102.00 they round up to 110.00. I could be wrong but that is how I am reading it....

That's right, but the interest is in the low amounts.   Spending $102 and getting 110 points is a 1.078 points per $ earn.   Spending $2 and getting 10 points is a 5 points per $ earn.   (And spending 1c and getting 10 points.....!)

Message 21 of 38
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

The language I am reading is "round up to the nearest 10" not TO 10. To me that means if purchase is 102.00 they round up to 110.00. I could be wrong but that is how I am reading it....

That's right, but the interest is in the low amounts.   Spending $102 and getting 110 points is a 1.078 points per $ earn.   Spending $2 and getting 10 points is a 5 points per $ earn.   (And spending 1c and getting 10 points.....!)

Yes but looking at this (dare I say Logically) why would citi nerf it's high AF card Prestige and come right back with a no AF card giving TYP away for basically free? Also, since all this is conjecture until the real thing comes out, why then, if they are going up to a 10 points round up each swipe, also give you two TYP on gas and grocery AND rebate on points used too? Seems awfully generous for Citi...there is a catch here somewhere.....LOL

Message 22 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Yes but looking at this (dare I say Logically) why would citi nerf it's high AF card Prestige and come right back with a no AF card giving TYP away for basically free? Also, since all this is conjecture until the real thing comes out, why then, if they are going up to a 10 points round up each swipe, also give you two TYP on gas and grocery AND rebate on points used too? Seems awfully generous for Citi...there is a catch here somewhere.....LOL

Because my guess is that (assuming all the reports are correct) that the vast majority of transactions are going to be more of the $42 -> 50 TYP etc type, where the free TYPs are relatively minimal.   A small dedicated group will indeed be doing lots of 50c Amazon transactions or similar things   Citi is then free to take action against them.     Similar things happened in the days of the 5xTY Preferred (well, I don't know in that case if many people did use it as intended!) when Citi closed accounts (and attempted to make them forfeit the earned points) when they detected "abuse".

Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. This card would pair very well with my Premier, if I decided to keep it.

However, it seems this card would really only be useful for purchases under 5$. I wonder if one is ineligible for the SUB if you have held the Premier or prestige in the last 24 months?

I see this being pretty beneficial as well. However, the 6k/ year is not realistic for me. I'd max that out and grocery stores in the first half of the year. But the idea of getting 3x travel and gas stations, 2x dining entertainment, grocery stores and 1x on everything ROUNDED is very appealing. I am going to throw my Amex Gold and Altitude Reserve in the shredder right now. Oh, wait, I don't want to buy a new shredder. I do really like all the card benefits of the Premier though!

Message 24 of 38
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

On tiny purchases, this is a high earn. On larger ones, it's pretty nominal; an extra handful of points. A 1.5 or 2% card is going to beat it in most situations.

Message 25 of 38
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Intersting to see what the approval data points would be for this card.

Easy approval, or Hard ? 

Message 26 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@PointsBonus wrote:

Intersting to see what the approval data points would be for this card.

Easy approval, or Hard ? 

Willing to be the first to try it out?  T-minus 7 days! 

Message 27 of 38
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I wonder if it be a card where they will be more lienent and over look inquires and new accounts and let people in the door - maybe a get in the door card ?

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. This card would pair very well with my Premier, if I decided to keep it.

However, it seems this card would really only be useful for purchases under 5$. I wonder if one is ineligible for the SUB if you have held the Premier or prestige in the last 24 months?

I see this being pretty beneficial as well. However, the 6k/ year is not realistic for me. I'd max that out and grocery stores in the first half of the year. But the idea of getting 3x travel and gas stations, 2x dining entertainment, grocery stores and 1x on everything ROUNDED is very appealing. I am going to throw my Amex Gold and Altitude Reserve in the shredder right now. Oh, wait, I don't want to buy a new shredder. I do really like all the card benefits of the Premier though!

So you could round up the earnings on the Premier with this card? I doubt it but wishful thinking.

I like the benefits on the premier card as well but my only problem is the lack of good transfer partners. As it currently stands, I use my TY points through the portal which gives me 1.25c a point. Kinda hard to justify paying 95$ for a 3.75% travel card.

With that being said, I I use my Premier for gas and travel then my Gold for restaurants and groceries.

Message 29 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

How many transactions will people do on the card (assuming normal behavior!)  10 a day every day would give a max of about 35K extra TYP a year.   While that is certainly something, that's for quite a lot of usage, and not sure that is such a game changer.  Of course, if you start manufacturing tiny purchases, it can be a lot more, but I would think that will lead to closure at some point.

This is the 2019 Cash Magnet IMO!   So I expect lots of interest!

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.