Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi: moving credit line

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi: moving credit line

I have a couple of citi cards and one of those is Diamond preferred with a limit of 4900. Since the rewards system associated with this card is completely useless to me and quite annoying the way it works, i decided to try and move the credit line onto my double cash back card and close this one. First thing i did was call the EO office because i did not want to talk to a CSR (which are completey useless) but i was then told i should call the number on the back of my card, as they are for last reserve only. so i guess i had to start from the buttom, i called the number on the back of my card and spoke to csr and told her what i wanted to do with my cards, she said she can close the card or request a cli but in no way she can move the line and said citi does not do that, i then requested to speak to a supervisor, once connected, i told him my story and he said he can only move 2900 of the limit from my preferred card onto my double cash card since the minimum of the diamond card has to be atleast 2000, i said thats fine. he asked for my income and said a report might be pulled in the process and then told me it could take a couple of hours and i'll hear from him again.

couple hours later i loggin and see my doulbe cash back card limit increase by 2900, and my diamond card decrease to 2000, however it still does not say its closed,

so i guess it worked, but i might have gotten a hp to accomplish this and lost 2k of my credit line since all couldnt be moved which is fine by me.

I hope this is of use to anybody who is thinking of trying to move cl around with citit, its not like barclays or chase which are super easy, with citi is alot harder as they wont move all the limit and require a hp,

I will update later if i see an alert for an inquiry on my report which will reset my gardening date Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi: moving credit line

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a couple of citi cards and one of those is Diamond preferred with a limit of 4900. Since the rewards system associated with this card is completely useless to me and quite annoying the way it works, i decided to try and move the credit line onto my double cash back card and close this one. First thing i did was call the EO office because i did not want to talk to a CSR (which are completey useless) but i was then told i should call the number on the back of my card, as they are for last reserve only. so i guess i had to start from the buttom, i called the number on the back of my card and spoke to csr and told her what i wanted to do with my cards, she said she can close the card or request a cli but in no way she can move the line and said citi does not do that, i then requested to speak to a supervisor, once connected, i told him my story and he said he can only move 2900 of the limit from my preferred card onto my double cash card since the minimum of the diamond card has to be atleast 2000, i said thats fine. he asked for my income and said a report might be pulled in the process and then told me it could take a couple of hours and i'll hear from him again.

couple hours later i loggin and see my doulbe cash back card limit increase by 2900, and my diamond card decrease to 2000, however it still does not say its closed,

so i guess it worked, but i might have gotten a hp to accomplish this and lost 2k of my credit line since all couldnt be moved which is fine by me.

I hope this is of use to anybody who is thinking of trying to move cl around with citit, its not like barclays or chase which are super easy, with citi is alot harder as they wont move all the limit and require a hp,

I will update later if i see an alert for an inquiry on my report which will reset my gardening date Smiley Sad

I think they fed you a bunch of bs, personally.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

yupp, think so too

Message 3 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

yupp, think so too

Nope, this is how Citi works. It is one of the most challenging ones to reallocate CLs and for the most part HP when doing so.  BofA only HPs but can move entire CL.  Even by their EO, some can get really fortunate in accomplishing most of these CL reallocations (some without HP) but YEMV

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

yupp, think so too

Nope, this is how Citi works. It is one of the most challenging ones to reallocate CLs and for the most part HP when doing so.  BofA only HPs but can move entire CL.  Even by their EO, some can get really fortunate in accomplishing most of these CL reallocations (some without HP) but YEMV

Ugh, Citi sucks!

Message 5 of 27
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Citi was only good for building credit with. Other than that, they are completely wacky when it comes to the simplest stuff like reallocating CLs and getting auto denied for inquiries. They are currently one of my least favorite prime lenders because of BS like that.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

my partner was denied after it was submitted!!!

Citi just doesn't like to move CL's and usually don't... good job op finidng someone with brains to do it and having it successfully done!

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

my partner was denied after it was submitted!!!

Citi just doesn't like to move CL's and usually don't... good job op finidng someone with brains to do it and having it successfully done!

Yeah i wasnt going to take no for an answer while knowing how others were able to do it on this forum. Obviously CSRs are useless and only read their scripts, but some one higher up would know that is possible, however i was a little scared knowing that once he submitted for the request it could have been easily denied since i have like 6 new accounts and too many inquiries showing, but maybe since i been with citi for a while now and they raised my cl on a few credit cards, i thought i was in a good standing with them at least.

Message 8 of 27
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Citi was only good for building credit with. Other than that, they are completely wacky when it comes to the simplest stuff like reallocating CLs and getting auto denied for inquiries. They are currently one of my least favorite prime lenders because of BS like that.

Citi and Chase are on my blacklist...  thanks to these forums and all the members who have posted their horror stories.

Barclay made it so easy to move the CL from my Apple to my new Sallie Mae the other day... and then close the Apple.  It's too bad Capital One doesn't allow it... because if they did I'd only have 1 card instead of 2.

Some lenders are just a PITA.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Citi and Chase are on my blacklist...  thanks to these forums and all the members who have posted their horror stories.

Barclay made it so easy to move the CL from my Apple to my new Sallie Mae the other day... and then close the Apple.  It's too bad Capital One doesn't allow it... because if they did I'd only have 1 card instead of 2.

Some lenders are just a PITA.

Exactly! Barclay is super easy to move cl from one card to another, i moved the whole cl from my apple to my arrival and then closed the apple card. no hp needed unlike citi Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.