Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - product and app questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi - product and app questions

Never thought this would happen - I got an app from citi for the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards mastercard in the mail. 

It doesn't say 'pre-qualified' or 'pre-selected' anywhere in the letter - I looked. But it does have a stated interest rate (16.99% after 0% intro expires) instead of the "based on your creditworthiness" ranges that they disclose online.  It also has the opt out discloses for all three CRAs on the back of the letter.  So I have to think this is some sort of pre-screened or targeted offer. 

Here's my question...  a week ago, my strategy was to wait until the new $15k visa showed up on my credit reports.  As of the other day, it wasn't there yet (I don't think the account has even cycled yet as a matter of fact). 

But when I read up on Citi it seems they aren't huge fans of new accounts.  So I'm wondering...should I bite on this offer, or hold out till the 15K cl shows up on the CRA's.  I see advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. 

So, i'm looking for some advice.  Help!

Message 11 of 15
anderl
Frequent Contributor

IMO- wait 6 mnths. and then apply-that way ur Alliant cc is 6 mnths. old and you'll have added points to ur credit score as well(as long as u keep ur DEBT LOW  on Alliant)-

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got antsy and pulled the trigger.  Approved instantly, $4900 CL.

Message 13 of 15
maponafa
New Contributor

Great Job, Congrats!!  Who did they pull for you?  Also did you have any charge offs or late pays?  Thanks

Starting Score: EQ - 450 TU - 429 (12-24-2008)
Current Score: EQ - 680 TU - 741 (09-11-2010)
Goal Score: 815
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maponafa wrote:

Great Job, Congrats!!  Who did they pull for you?  Also did you have any charge offs or late pays?  Thanks

I'm not sure who they pulled, but I suspect it's EQ.  I just checked truecredit and they didn't hit TU.  On EQ I have a 120 day late on a student loan from 2005. 

I also have some recent inq's (3 or 4 alltogether) since July because I joined Alliant and refi'd my car thru them.  I also app'd for the BB RZMC and was declined due to a paid CO from 2005/2006. 

I feel comfortable with my progression away from subprime, finally.  Here's what I have left to do:

Orchard - 400 - will close when AF comes due next year - will be 3 years old

FP - 500 - will close when AF comes due next year - will be 3 years old

FP - 650 - will close when AF comes due next year - will be 4 years old

Cap1 - 1500 - keeping

Amex - 500 - It's oasis, eventually I'll re-app for a normal 'charge' card when the  time is right

Alliant - 15000 - keeping

Citi 4900 - keeping

I may throw a store card into the mix at some point but in absolutely no hurry to do that. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.