Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi recon - advice please

tag
brianjb
Contributor

Citi recon - advice please

I applied for a Citi thank you card.

I got a denial in the mail saying I had too many inquiries.

I called the number asking for recon and she said I need to send in my credit report for that. I thought that I could talk to someone.

I sent email to credit.operations@citi.com asking them to reconsider and attached my report.

Here is what they sent me:
Thank you, Credit Acquisitions department has received your documents; please allow 7 to 10 days to process the application.

Should I just hang tight or is there a different number I can call?

Suggestions appreciated!
AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Eightiron
Contributor

Re: Citi recon - advice please

I have heard Citi is tough on recon.  Someone may offer more tailored advice, but I would say (as hard as it may be) wait the week and see that they say.  They keep track of phone calls, so try to keep the number low.  No sense in adding up calls when you still have a chance at approval.

Gardening now for that spring harvest Entered 9/4/13 leaving 4/14
Message 2 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@brianjb wrote:
I applied for a Citi thank you card.

I got a denial in the mail saying I had too many inquiries.

I called the number asking for recon and she said I need to send in my credit report for that. I thought that I could talk to someone.

I sent email to credit.operations@citi.com asking them to reconsider and attached my report.

Here is what they sent me:
Thank you, Credit Acquisitions department has received your documents; please allow 7 to 10 days to process the application.

Should I just hang tight or is there a different number I can call?

Suggestions appreciated!

In the meantime wait for them to get back to you first.

Talking to different people right now may result in a lot more inquiries being pulled because different people will be working on your app.

Citi is tough on recons, and chances are they will pull additional inquiries as well. For example, another forums member was pulled an additional 4 times just for recons, and several other people reported similar stuff happening as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

I got my citi TYP card thru recon... I called the number listed here, app status number and spoke with someone... told her I wanted to speak with an underwriter and she said she doesn't have the number but she has a supervisor I speak with.... Spoke to her, not so pleasant, asked me about too many inquiries and that was the reason for denial.. i kept on saying those inquiries were from auto shopping and from cli requests.... 10 inquiries in 3 months I think... 21 in the past year... she approved me for 2k...you can always try and ask for a manager or supervisor.... only soft pull for me, you never know, maybe you'll get lucky....

my two chase cards, my barclays and citi were all approved thru recon.... I think i'mma pro now when it comes to recon.... lol

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 4 of 11
Pjose

Where is the number listed ?
Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Pjose wrote:
Where is the number listed ?

Located in the backdoor thread at the top of the page 

Be aware that it may cause another HP if recon

Citi: 888-201-4523 (New App Approval Status)

Citi: 800-763-9795 (App status?? They ask for your app #)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
Pjose

Wow thanks for the quick response, but i was denied right after I applied online and after reading a bit about recon on different cards I was hoping that would be the case with citi as well. Should I try ? Being that I was denied right away or should I forget ? Just to get a better idea I had just got approved for amex blue everyday 2k cl the day before.
Message 7 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@Pjose wrote:
Wow thanks for the quick response, but i was denied right after I applied online and after reading a bit about recon on different cards I was hoping that would be the case with citi as well. Should I try ? Being that I was denied right away or should I forget ? Just to get a better idea I had just got approved for amex blue everyday 2k cl the day before.

depends on your credit report and history.

Citi can be somewhat fickle at times. Their reconsiderations process are generally harder than most lender, though it's not impossible as well. Do be aware that they'll usually pull additional inquiries on top of whatever they already did, so if that is something you want to avoid, then don't appeal the decision.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 11
Pjose

I think I'll hold on for now thank you.
Message 9 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Pjose wrote:

When did you apply?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.