cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi request reopen closed account and applying for new one question.

tag
ficomember
Contributor

Citi request reopen closed account and applying for new one question.

Hi, I requested to close my Citi AA card, now I realize that I could product change it to Citi double cash or something instead. So I called to request for reopen, the rep said credit report will be pulled. I don't want to undergo that. So my question is, if I have to do that, does that approval succes count towards the approval card per day rule? 

My thinking is since I am going to waste one inquiry anyway, might as well go for another Citi premier 60k offer right now same day to get the inquiries merged. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi request reopen closed account and applying for new one question.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that the inquiries will be merged OP.  The reinstatement request is typically processed separately from a new account application. 

Message 2 of 6
ficomember
Contributor

So, if the request is success, does it count towards approved per day rule? Perhaps I should get Premier 60k first then request to reopen? 

Moreover, do you know if Citi AA can be converted to Citi Rewards + ? 

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not 100% sure whether the reinstatement would count toward their application rules, but what I would suggest is perhaps going for TY Premier first then do the reinstatement.

As far as the PC goes, you would need to contact them directly to determine whether your specific account is eligible. It's usually YEMV.
Message 4 of 6
ficomember
Contributor

Thank you. Do you know if reinstatement is success, does the same card get added to my credit report with a new opening date? I am trying to stay under 5/24 Chase. If they add that reinstated card to my report, that will make me over 5 cards in 24 months. 

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would assume that the same CC number remains the same; however, there isn't a whole lot of DPs that confirm the outcome of a Citi reinstatement and how that would reflect on the CRs.

My suggestion is to reach out to them and see how a reinstatement would impact reporting (aside from the HP) and if you get to retain the same account #.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.