cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

I thought I would be tons of apps esp with the rounding to 10 points..  Just realeased this afternoon so we shall see.. tempting as i would put my morning drink on it for 1.25 and get rounded to 10 points.  Seem like a high swipe fee card although takes alot of small swipes to make it worth it..  Never really used TYP points so not really familiar with them 

Message 11 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The rounding is really only beneficial for small transactions. On large ones, a 1.5 or 2% card would win. Even for small ones like a morning drink, 2 dollars yes is rounded to 10 points, but on a 3% dining card you get 6 points as it is. Are those tiny extra amounts of TY points going to amount to much? Guess it depends on the person. It almost seems like unless someone is actually abusing this card, the features are more gimmicky than anything substantial but that's just my thought. A Double Cash is probably better.

Message 12 of 112
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

The rounding is really only beneficial for small transactions. On large ones, a 1.5 or 2% card would win. Even for small ones like a morning drink, 2 dollars yes is rounded to 10 points, but on a 3% dining card you get 6 points as it is. Are those tiny extra amounts of TY points going to amount to much? Guess it depends on the person.

Agree and wording for abuse and capped at 6k spend a year.  still interesting to see what transpires from this would only use for small transactions and be kinda silly to use for anything else i am not sure what they are expecting but to be abused like amazon .50 cent reloads, but pretty sure they will be looking out for those although wont stop people from trying and some getting away with it

Message 13 of 112
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Message 14 of 112
budugu
Regular Contributor

I dont think there is any appeal for it even if you use it for all transactions below 10$ or something. say you make 50 transactions per month, the avg additional points you are going to get is 5 TYP per transaction ~ 250 per month additional. or about 3000 per year on roughly 15-20K spend about 20% bonus (eerily matches Everyday card!) Smiley Happy

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 15 of 112
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

It'll definitely be interesting to see how long the 10 point round up sticks around.  At work just about every vending and coffee machine has a option to use credit card/apple pay.  If Citi had any transfer partners worth my time I would certainly get this card and would be part of the reason they nerf'd it as I'd eat them alive on my $1.00 vending machine gum/lifesaver/sunflower seed purchases.  

Message 16 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could the Citi Rewards+ World Master Card (yes, the TOC calls for a Revolving CL with a minimum of $1,000) be the MyFico next Oregon Duck Credit Card? Ad reads: "Looking for a few Test Dummies" please apply within Smiley Tongue smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 17 of 112
red259
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

It'll definitely be interesting to see how long the 10 point round up sticks around.  At work just about every vending and coffee machine has a option to use credit card/apple pay.  If Citi had any transfer partners worth my time I would certainly get this card and would be part of the reason they nerf'd it as I'd eat them alive on my $1.00 vending machine gum/lifesaver/sunflower seed purchases.  

Exactly. I don't necessarily think this card is worth wasting an app on, but as a product change option I can see value in it. I currently have a citi double cash. The only charge I have on there is an apple storage charge of $.99. The double cash card is fairly useless to me since I have an amex business blue plus that gives me two Amex MR points per dollar spent which I value much higher than 2% cash back. Even if I were not going to use that card then my next choice would be the freedom unlimited for 1.5 Chase UR points per dollar. Beyond that I still have the cap one venture card because of AF waivers. In this situation since I really don't plan on using the double cash I am strongly considering a PC to this card. I frequently have small $2 or $3 purchases sometimes less than that at places where I don't get a category bonus. I could keep this card in my wallet for small purchases like that and then after october I will be applying for a citi TY point card to get a signup. I could just move all these points over to transfer to a travel partner. I figure over the course of a year this card would probably net me about 5k TY points. Doesn't sound like much but what am I really giving up? A card I never use? A bunch of 1 or 2 point transactions? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 112
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I have to assume Citi will roll the rounding up thing back. People are going to abuse that like nothing else. Donate $0.07 to charity, anyone?

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 19 of 112
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Per DoC the only travel partner this card by itself can be used to transfer TYP to is JetBlue.  That definitely means that for me there is no value-add.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 20 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.