cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

@wdkwang wrote:

Am I going for it?

• Yes, I'll be going for the card. I recently requested Citi to product change my DoubleCash card to the Rewards+ card.

Why?

• Because the bulk of my purchases are on my Chase trifecta cards and the CNB Crystal (travel card), I haven't had a use for the DoubleCash in about 2 years. I just buy an Amazon gift card every so often to keep it active.
  • With the Rewards+ card, a 15K bonus can be earned at least, and be used for redemption, or be linked to an Amazon account to redeem TY points when there is a promo (See Link: https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/amazon-citi-discount/).
  • After working out the math, I won't be taking advantage of the 'round to 10 TY points' perk because it is not worth the hassle to me or the risk of getting my account closed by Citi or Amazon (spamming gift card purchases).

You do know you won't get the sign up bonus with a product conversion, right?

Message 61 of 112
wdkwang
Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wdkwang wrote:

Am I going for it?

• Yes, I'll be going for the card. I recently requested Citi to product change my DoubleCash card to the Rewards+ card.

Why?

• Because the bulk of my purchases are on my Chase trifecta cards and the CNB Crystal (travel card), I haven't had a use for the DoubleCash in about 2 years. I just buy an Amazon gift card every so often to keep it active.
  • With the Rewards+ card, a 15K bonus can be earned at least, and be used for redemption, or be linked to an Amazon account to redeem TY points when there is a promo (See Link: https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/amazon-citi-discount/).
  • After working out the math, I won't be taking advantage of the 'round to 10 TY points' perk because it is not worth the hassle to me or the risk of getting my account closed by Citi or Amazon (spamming gift card purchases).

Well, shucks, then.

I'll call Citi to confirm later on, and ask for an exception if anything. If they won't budge, then it's ok. I just need a couple TY points for the Amazon promos for it to be worthwhile for me.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 62 of 112
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wdkwang wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wdkwang wrote:

Am I going for it?

Why?

Well, shucks, then.

I'll call Citi to confirm later on, and ask for an exception if anything. If they won't budge, then it's ok. I just need a couple TY points for the Amazon promos for it to be worthwhile for me.

You can contact them, but they won't budge (sorry no exceptions).  The SUB is for new applications, not existing accounts/product conversions. 

Message 63 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about going for it but in the end I realized that is not worth it. 

Message 64 of 112
wdkwang
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@wdkwang wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wdkwang wrote:

Am I going for it?

Why?

Well, shucks, then.

You can contact them, but they won't budge (sorry no exceptions).  The SUB is for new applications, not existing accounts/product conversions. 

I just called Citi and the rep confirmed that I'm eligible for the 15k bonus even with it being a product change. From my experience dealing with phone reps, some have no idea no idea what they're talking about. I'll let you guys know once I put $1k spend on it after I get it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 65 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah I’ve never heard of getting a sign up bonus with a product change. But hopefully it works out
Message 66 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 0% for 12 months sounds nice, but I still have 6 months of 0% on my AMEX BCP. It would definitely be worth a pull if I thought I would be redeeming 100,000 TY points/year, but even with the round-up I hardly think I would get 50,000.

Message 67 of 112
dunsplus
New Contributor

i have citi diamond and just got email today being offered to change my csrd to citi reward plua card...not sure if i should or not
Message 68 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@dunsplus wrote:
i have citi diamond and just got email today being offered to change my csrd to citi reward plua card...not sure if i should or not

Well the Diamond offers basically no rewards, so the Rewards+ is a step up. But for most, I think converting to a Double Cash is probably better.

Message 69 of 112
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@dunsplus wrote:

Well the Diamond offers basically no rewards, so the Rewards+ is a step up. But for most, I think converting to a Double Cash is probably better.

I just got email offering me to convert my DC to the Rewards+.    Not that I am tempted, but the explanation they give makes it look a little negative to me (bolding is theirs)

When you convert to the Citi Rewards+SM Card, you will no longer earn cash back on purchases (even if you are already enrolled in a quarterly promotional category offer this quarter) because you will be earning ThankYou® Points. ThankYou Points have a lower redemption rate for cash than Double Cash, but have the same redemption value when redeemed for gift cards or travel rewards through the ThankYou® Travel Center. Any unused Double Cash dollars balance in your account will expire at conversion. If you have a Double Cash dollar balance of $25 or more, you should consider redeeming them by visiting citicards.com prior to conversion. The first late fee waiver benefit on purchases made with the Double Cash card, will not apply on purchases made after conversion to the Citi Rewards+ Card.

Message 70 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.