cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@dunsplus wrote:
i have citi diamond and just got email today being offered to change my csrd to citi reward plua card...not sure if i should or not

Well the Diamond offers basically no rewards, so the Rewards+ is a step up. But for most, I think converting to a Double Cash is probably better.

I just got email offering me to convert my DC to the Rewards+.    Not that I am tempted, but the explanation they give makes it look a little negative to me (bolding is theirs)

When you convert to the Citi Rewards+SM Card, you will no longer earn cash back on purchases (even if you are already enrolled in a quarterly promotional category offer this quarter) because you will be earning ThankYou® Points. ThankYou Points have a lower redemption rate for cash than Double Cash, but have the same redemption value when redeemed for gift cards or travel rewards through the ThankYou® Travel Center. Any unused Double Cash dollars balance in your account will expire at conversion. If you have a Double Cash dollar balance of $25 or more, you should consider redeeming them by visiting citicards.com prior to conversion. The first late fee waiver benefit on purchases made with the Double Cash card, will not apply on purchases made after conversion to the Citi Rewards+ Card.

Without some type of conversion bonus or something, I'm not sure why anyone would make that conversion unless they are just uninformed. I am sure that's what Citi hopes for since the TY points cost them less to provide than cash. I'm sure they get a deal on the gift cards you can redeem for, and most other options are less than 1cpp, compared to Double Cash which is cold hard cash.

Message 71 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Invitation to convert Citi Diamond preferred to new Citi rewards card

Family

I received an invite to convert my Citi Diamond Preferred card to the new Citi Rewards card. I want to get some input regarding this.....TIA

Message 72 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Invitation to convert Citi Diamond preferred to new Citi rewards card

It is a step up above your Diamond card since it does offer some kind of rewards, but IMO you're better off converting to a Double Cash.

Message 73 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@dunsplus wrote:
i have citi diamond and just got email today being offered to change my csrd to citi reward plua card...not sure if i should or not

Well the Diamond offers basically no rewards, so the Rewards+ is a step up. But for most, I think converting to a Double Cash is probably better.

I just got email offering me to convert my DC to the Rewards+.    Not that I am tempted, but the explanation they give makes it look a little negative to me (bolding is theirs)

When you convert to the Citi Rewards+SM Card, you will no longer earn cash back on purchases (even if you are already enrolled in a quarterly promotional category offer this quarter) because you will be earning ThankYou® Points. ThankYou Points have a lower redemption rate for cash than Double Cash, but have the same redemption value when redeemed for gift cards or travel rewards through the ThankYou® Travel Center. Any unused Double Cash dollars balance in your account will expire at conversion. If you have a Double Cash dollar balance of $25 or more, you should consider redeeming them by visiting citicards.com prior to conversion. The first late fee waiver benefit on purchases made with the Double Cash card, will not apply on purchases made after conversion to the Citi Rewards+ Card.

My experiences going back many years has found when I redeemed "Thank You" Points for cash, I got $0.50 per dollar instead of 1.0 cash value (points) or more per dollar. This happened to me several times. That being said, I closed all Citi TYP cards (unless you use them for travel related activities pay attention). Glad longtimelurker posted the terms. I went to the Citi site and saw no cash option rather travel oriented or statement credits which eliminated any interest on my part! Smiley Surprised In my mind the $50 threashold for cash out on the Citi Dividend Rewards Card is steep but, I do use the categories so I will forget the new Citi Rewards+ Card.

Message 74 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Used to have the Citi Diamond Preferred and when CIti said they would do a product change I took it and ran. Not once have I looked back. Got'ta love cash!
Message 75 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It is a step up above your Diamond card since it does offer some kind of rewards, but IMO you're better off converting to a Double Cash.

I took your advice and went with the Double Cash. Seemed like the better offer...Thanks!!

Message 76 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dino...I was able to get it converted to the Double Cash......Smiley Happy

Message 77 of 112
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@dunsplus wrote:

Without some type of conversion bonus or something, I'm not sure why anyone would make that conversion unless they are just uninformed. I am sure that's what Citi hopes for since the TY points cost them less to provide than cash. I'm sure they get a deal on the gift cards you can redeem for, and most other options are less than 1cpp, compared to Double Cash which is cold hard cash.

RIght, either uninformed or planning to abuse.    I also have the Dividend, waiting to see if I get email on that.

Message 78 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got an email to PC my DP to the new Rewards+. Not sure if I will though, I only use it for BT's and likely won't earn anything that way. 

I guess if that card is going away one day, I'll be forced to eventually. Shame, i really iked it. 

Message 79 of 112
wdkwang
Contributor

If you're in the same boat as me who never uses the DoubleCash anymore because you have other cc's that will benefit you more and are just sock-drawer'ing the DoubleCash, then I think conversion to Rewards+ makes sense whether you get the 15k bonus or not. The phone rep told me I'd get the bonus with a conversion but I'm doubtful based on people's feedback.

The main benefit I'm looking for with this conversion is using TY points for Amazon promos, similar to the promos for Chase, AMEX, and Discover (See links below). Although it is a small promo amount, it beats $0 rewards with sock-drawer'ing it.

https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/amazon-citi-discount/

https://www.maximizingmoney.com/shopping/amazon-discount-amex-membership-rewards-points/

https://www.maximizingmoney.com/shopping/amazon-discount-amex-membership-rewards-points/

https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/amazon-1-click-payment-promotion/

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 80 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.