cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Citi rewards+ now live anyone going for it?

@longtimelurker wrote:

I got the mailer inviting me to switch my DC to the Rewards+      For a few seconds I thought about it more: I don't use the DC as I have Fidelity and now PayPal, so......    But it still seems to make sense only if I have a ton of less than $5 transactions, as otherwise the DC would still earn more.   And as I don't, and don't want to change habits to do so, I threw the mailer out.

My daughter just got the mailer to PC her old Citi Dividends card, nothing there looks compelling so I won't suggest she change.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 91 of 112
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Is this card better than the MilesUp? If you have the Citi Prestige?

I think i can only pick between this card and the MilesUp. I will try to do a PC an Aavantage Plat that i dont want to pay the annual fee.

I think the options for Double Cash or Costco are out as i cannot apply for those being International. I have to call the Credit department to see my options.

Message 92 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Deuter wrote:
Is this card better than the MilesUp? If you have the Citi Prestige?

I think i can only pick between this card and the MilesUp. I will try to do a PC an Aavantage Plat that i dont want to pay the annual fee.

I think the options for Double Cash or Costco are out as i cannot apply for those being International. I have to call the Credit department to see my options.

The Rewards+ earns Citi Thank You points which are somewhat more flexible than AA miles. Thankyou points can be redeemed for gift cards at 1 cent and travel booked through Citi at 1 cent. Most other redemptions are a lesser value. AA miles are pretty much only useful for AA flights.

Message 93 of 112
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Can the miles on the MileUp card be used for anything else besides flights? Was looking for a Citi card with a good but small spending bonus so that i could product change it to the Citi Double cash after a year. Mileup  has a decent signup bonus but I don't think I would be able to exhaust all of the bonus miles on it on flights if i even tried to.

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 94 of 112
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@luxlight wrote:

Can the miles on the MileUp card be used for anything else besides flights? Was looking for a Citi card with a good but small spending bonus so that i could product change it to the Citi Double cash after a year. Mileup  has a decent signup bonus but I don't think I would be able to exhaust all of the bonus miles on it on flights if i even tried to.

You can technically redeem AA miles for various things like magazines, but the value is poor.

Message 95 of 112
Deuter
Regular Contributor

You can redeem AA miles for Partners awards the best.

Best value on Etihad and Cathay Pacific J products. Sorry, i've been doing the AA miles game since 2008 Smiley Tongue

Message 96 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I currently have the premier, if I decide to PC my DC to this (I don’t use it as I have Fidelity Visa and BBP for non cat spend) would the bonus clock reset?

Even if it does reset, I just went ahead and converted my DC over. I have the Premier already which is like 8 months old so not too bad if it resets the close. I’m also reading that the 10% bonus from rewards+ stacks with the 1.25c travel portal redemptions from Premier when linked. This effectively makes the Premier a 4.13% Gas and travel card for the 1st 100k points redeemed for 95$ a year which isn’t too shabby!

Rewards+ would likely only be used for purchases under 5$ however which I make a lot of at work at the vending machines so win win! Premier would still be used for Gas/gas store unless it’s 3$ or less.

Message 97 of 112
RickNATL
Established Contributor

Nah....DC does if for me....

Message 98 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RickNATL wrote:

Nah....DC does if for me....

+1

Message 99 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you think about this, if you were to find a way to abuse the system, the loser ends up being the merchant letting you process these transactions. They charge an interchange fee to the vendor (usually a flat fee of .10 or so plus a percentage of the transaction). In other words, if you run a .01 transaction, it would probably cost the vendor .11 or more to process it. You could theoretically run hundreds of thousands of transactions and round them up from .01 to .10 - but someone pays for it in the end.

Message 100 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.