Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi's customer service is better than I expected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi's customer service is better than I expected

I have heard so many negative things about Citi's customer service that when I had to reach out to combine my TYP accounts this evening, I wasn't sure how it would go.

First I tried to do it online with chat because ew, phone calls, but the rep kindly explained that for security reasons they are only allowed to see the one account I am logged into and provided me with the information to call. I took it down and thanked him for his assistance and told him to have a great evening, to which he replied:

"You're welcome and my pleasure, you are our valued card member and your satisfaction is our top priority.

I must admit you are one of the most polite and understanding customer I have chatted today. Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful time ahead and be safe!

:-)"

That put a smile on my face even though I didn't do much besides ask him how his day was going and treat him like a human being.

While we were finishing up the chat, I dialed up the number. The automated system had me give one of my TYP account numbers and I was immediately connected to a rep. He understood what I wanted done, asked me for the second TYP account number, asked which one I wanted to keep, and it was all done and I was off the phone in less than 5 minutes.

I already got confirmation emails and can confirm he combined the way I wanted him to. Very pleased with how effortless that all was, I was expecting more of an issue since when I submitted my app for the Custom Cash Citi's system seems to have left out my middle initial as well as my suffix despite my Rewards+ having them even though I was logged in and used their shortened application option to apply. I'm used to system issues with my suffix though... If you love your kids, don't ever saddle them with a suffix. 😐

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi's customer service is better than I expected

I'm glad your account combo went without a hitch!  (And I agree wholeheartedly about the suffix... it sucks.)

My own account combo seemed to go OK, but just a few days ago I transferred some of my Double Cash cash rewards to my newly combined Thank You points account, but the points never showed up (and the cash rewards went <poof> as well).  I did a chat and the rep said it can "take some time" but now that it's been a couple of days I'm starting to think there's a glitch somewhere.

It was a trivial amount in my case (less than $2 just to test the waters), but I'm glad I'm getting to work out the kinks before it actually matters.  Hopefully your experience will be smoother than mine.

Back on topic... I've always found Citi reps to be just fine, even if their IT is sorely lacking at times. 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I'm glad your account combo went without a hitch!  (And I agree wholeheartedly about the suffix... it sucks.)

My own account combo seemed to go OK, but just a few days ago I transferred some of my Double Cash cash rewards to my newly combined Thank You points account, but the points never showed up (and the cash rewards went <poof> as well).  I did a chat and the rep said it can "take some time" but now that it's been a couple of days I'm starting to think there's a glitch somewhere.

It was a trivial amount in my case (less than $2 just to test the waters), but I'm glad I'm getting to work out the kinks before it actually matters.  Hopefully your experience will be smoother than mine.

Back on topic... I've always found Citi reps to be just fine, even if their IT is sorely lacking at times. 

Oh yeah that situation doesn't sound fun. I actually did it now rather than when I get and start using the card because I was worried about it being messed up when there are two TYP accounts with a point balance but I didn't think about the possible internal card links. I got two emails, one alerting me to everything being moved to the new one, and a second alerting me to everything being moved to the old one, so hopefully it was done that way to break and restore links but I guess I will find out. 😂 

I haven't had any real problems with Citi except that their process for registering Face ID is irritating. While most of my accounts just have me put my password in and check a box, I have to actually register Face ID separately with Citi which involves confirming my phone number with a code and such. I guess it's more secure (and Langley has a similar feature) but when you run beta versions of iOS like I do and sometimes have to factory reset and restore, it gets tedious having to go through that process. 

Message 3 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've never had a bad experience with Citi CSR, then again, I dont think I've had a bad experience with anyone, really. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

I've never had a bad experience with Citi CSR, then again, I dont think I've had a bad experience with anyone, really. 

I'm starting to think people reporting bad experiences were rude, drunk, or some other kind of obnoxious because I even have good experiences with Comcast and the way people carry on about them, you would think that in about 18 years of dealing with their customer service that I would have had plenty to complain about... 

Message 5 of 15
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I've been the same way with Citi, mostly. The only issue I've had is there's an AU account that I was removed from over a year and a half ago but their IT just cannot find a way to remove it from my account. I've gone through so many steps and am always told, "It will be fixed next week." I just gave up trying. They were always sweet and super considerate too.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have heard so many negative things about Citi's customer service that when I had to reach out to combine my TYP accounts this evening, I wasn't sure how it would go.

First I tried to do it online with chat because ew, phone calls, but the rep kindly explained that for security reasons they are only allowed to see the one account I am logged into and provided me with the information to call. I took it down and thanked him for his assistance and told him to have a great evening, to which he replied:

"You're welcome and my pleasure, you are our valued card member and your satisfaction is our top priority.

I must admit you are one of the most polite and understanding customer I have chatted today. Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful time ahead and be safe!

:-)"

That put a smile on my face even though I didn't do much besides ask him how his day was going and treat him like a human being.

While we were finishing up the chat, I dialed up the number. The automated system had me give one of my TYP account numbers and I was immediately connected to a rep. He understood what I wanted done, asked me for the second TYP account number, asked which one I wanted to keep, and it was all done and I was off the phone in less than 5 minutes.

I already got confirmation emails and can confirm he combined the way I wanted him to. Very pleased with how effortless that all was, I was expecting more of an issue since when I submitted my app for the Custom Cash Citi's system seems to have left out my middle initial as well as my suffix despite my Rewards+ having them even though I was logged in and used their shortened application option to apply. I'm used to system issues with my suffix though... If you love your kids, don't ever saddle them with a suffix. 😐

I'm glad that you've had a good experience.

It seems that every time I've contacted Citi customer service they were just telling me that they couldn't help me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I'm starting to think people reporting bad experiences were rude, drunk, or some other kind of obnoxious because I even have good experiences with Comcast and the way people carry on about them, you would think that in about 18 years of dealing with their customer service that I would have had plenty to complain about... 

I think part of it is sometimes expectations (DYKWIA, MY problem should be the company's top priority type-of-thing) but from time to time there are pockets of pure incompetence, when even the most well-meaning customer begins to think "This really is a bad experience"

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I think part of it is sometimes expectations (DYKWIA, MY problem should be the company's top priority type-of-thing) but from time to time there are pockets of pure incompetence, when even the most well-meaning customer begins to think "This really is a bad experience"

Yeah I definitely think DYKWIA mentality plays into it. 

I should have indicated somewhere in that post that I was being semi-sarcastic. I'm well aware that there are good and bad customer service reps anywhere, I was just prepared for a more Comcast experience that others report from Citi than a more like Navy Federal one. I'm sure next time I call it will all balance out because that's how these things go. 

Another thing that works out in my favor is that I try to use customer service as little as possible. I don't really like dealing with people (in fact I purchased this hoodie today) so I'll avoid those interactions unless absolutely necessary. 

430117E7-059F-4987-AEFA-9C81F3294202.png

Message 9 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I would say for the most part, I have had pretty good experience with the Citi reps.

I believe I only escalated to a supervisor once.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.